Thread: Video too fast for audio

Default Video too fast for audio

I've selected a clip from a DVD that I need for a presentation in class and have pulled it from the source DVD to my presentation montage in Premier 1.5.

The problem, though, is that after I've selected the in and out points and then move it to the timeline, the audio is correct but the video is moving way too fast.

I tried rendering it into an .avi thinking it was an issue with the speed of my computer - but no - the final .avi is only about one minute in length but the video is at least twice the speed of the audio.

In the primary monitor, the video and audio match up - i mark my in and out points - move to the timeline - preview and/or render - all of a sudden, the audio (going at the proper speed) cannot keep up.

Any ideas?

If you ripped the dvd you probably did something wrong. Try ripping again using standard codecs.

I used CloneDVD to rip the DVD to the hard drive and then converted the .vob to .mpg and the clip I need is from one of the .mpg files.

I never selected any codecs in the ripping process so I am not sure what "standard" means - I am sorry for being such a novice.

Is there a better way to extract the clip I need from the DVD? Or a place in the ripping process where I should be looking for the codec? Is it simply termed "standard"?

Thanks for the lead - I'll continue to work on it.

Okay -

I've been working on this nearly nonstop since posting yesterday (breaks to go to class and sleep) and I've made little progress.

I've looked into ripping methods for getting Premier to cooperate and it seems that .avi is the file type of choice. Alright - I've been agonizing over this and have no idea how to figure out what is wrong.

So, I set about converting test file .vobs and .mpgs to .avi.

Easy, right?

Here's where the problem I am running into. The conversion to .avi seems to work fine, as far as I can tell. I've use trial versions of Xilisoft DVD Ripper, Xilisoft Video Converter, XMPEG, and Ulead VideoStudio 9 and tried different methods. I've tried ripping to .avi directly from the DVD. I've tried putting the .vob onto the hard drive and then converting to .avi. I've tried converting the .vob to .mpg to .avi. I've also used the FAQ #10 method that seems to be a veritable panacea for many problems on these forums but it's not working either. No matter what I've tried, all results are the same:

when I import the clip into Premier everything goes well. I can see the clip, view it, and set my in and out points. But when I move it to the timeline, I get audio but no video and it's driving me crazy.

I've downloaded various .avi files off the internet and misc .avi files I've got on my computer (and have nothing to do with this particular project) and I am running into the same black/blank screen for video though the audio seems to be running fine.

I've logged 11 hours now with the encoding/ripping experiments and am at my wit's end.

Any ideas as to why this is now happening is most welcome. And I thought the hard work was going to be in the actual editing. If I can get to the point where I can actually work with the files I've spent so much time accumulating - I'll be overjoyed!

Thanks in advance -

Hi

My prefered method of getting footage off a dvd is to plug my camera into the back of the dvd player and then record the footage you need, then upload it through the normal route to your pc.

If you have not got a camera with an av input then i think you will be going round in converting circles for along time. I have tried what you are attempting and found that it was easier to capture the footage with a camera with av input.

If all else fails i would see if i could find a covertor that converts dvd to AVI format, also try not to use any compression when converting. Premier Pro sometimes doesn't like certain compression so its easier to just opt for no compression

Hope this helps

Hi

My prefered method of getting footage off a dvd is to plug my camera into the back of the dvd player and then record the footage you need, then upload it through the normal route to your pc.

If you have not got a camera with an av input then i think you will be going round in converting circles for along time. I have tried what you are attempting and found that it was easier to capture the footage with a camera with av input.

If all else fails i would see if i could find a covertor that converts dvd to AVI format, also try not to use any compression when converting. Premier Pro sometimes doesn't like certain compression so its easier to just opt for no compression

Hope this helps