Thread: GREEN SCREENING! =S How?

Default GREEN SCREENING! =S How?

Hi everyone. Ive seen it done before. Like someone is video recorder looking like he is driving a car and outside the window there are cars mooving.

I think this is called Green Screening where the green color placed as the backdrop can be turned into video, i think

Is this right?

How can this be done? tuturials?

And im using Sony Vegas 6.. is it a good program to use for this? what else should i use?

Thanks Guys

Blog Entries

I bet you can find a 'how to' here; http://www.vasst.com/

Screening works best in my expirience with a proper screen. Mine is 8ft sq with a metal edge that just about hols it up and open, cost about 100 quid. At a push a big piece of green material can be used.

Try to get the screen flat with no shadows. Film the scene, select the chroma key plug in, use the clour picker in the plug in to select the screen colour, then fiddle with the sliders in the pug in to get the best result.

Place the new b ground on the track below the car scene and there you go, easy (ish).

Dont ask me why green wks best, I think it's blue for film. I suppose these colours dont make up skin tones or something.

I have found that setting the clour sliders manually can wk better than using the picker.

If you are going to use a car in a scene and you can get one into a garage or lock up, then get a few of your mates to push the car up and down gently so it looks like it is actually travelling over a road or whatever kind of surface (the rougher, the more up and down movements). Just make sure they are out of shot and not recorded. You can then use a sound effects disc to make the noise of the car or record something yourself.

Blog Entries

I think the best way to shoot this scene is to actually film people in a car for real if this is poss with your action. Just think of the back projections (screens) you have seen and how fake they can look.

Buy a suction cup cam support and mount it on the drivers/ passenger window on the outside looking back in, the window will have to be open so the cam can look over the top of it. This will get you the footage of the driver. Drive round the block doing the dialogue or whatever, as the motion in the background will be moving in one direction accross the screen, turn the image stabilizer OFF, as it will get confused and give you shaky video.Tie a safety cable round the support just in case. :(

Then mount the camera on the roof facing backwards and drive round the block again, image stalilizer ON and this will give you your green screen footage aswell as some live footage to cut to, Then mount on the bonnet and do the same again looking at the windscreen, if you have 1 use a polarising filter to cut down reflection from the screen.

The more footage from different angles the better. This will help to cut down on the use of the green screen which can look fake(as said above)

And lastly you will have to dub the vocals, because all there will be so far is wind and engine noise but a little of this mixed in with the vocals will add to the clip.

This method will give you what you need and different angles to cut to that will help to keep things interesting and moving along.

Good luck, I hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel
    Buy a suction cup cam support and mount it on the drivers/ passenger window on the outside looking back in..
    I believe this is illegal in the UK.

Safety of pedestrians I think!

New euro legislation does indeed say that all new vehicles must have soft zones for the protection of pedestrians, and this of course is no bad thing.

If you are building a car yourself or adapting it by fitting accessories etc the rule was that every corner must have a radius of at least 3mm, this has possibly changed, I don't know.

I would never encourage any member to break law, if this method is illegal, then don't do it.

As an alternative.
    Mount the camera inside the car and fit a wide angle lens for the close shots and make sure the windows are clean for the other shots.