Thread: new to the forum, got a problem

Default new to the forum, got a problem

I appreciate any help yall can give me. I am using premiere pro and cant get stereo from the avi. There is stereo there but cant click on it. The L and R are visable but they act as one channel. I recorded the dvi useing a wireless mike and the onboard mike. They show up as two channels with differant levels of audio and all but I cant touch them. I need to use one channel on both L and R but cant figure out how to copy one channel to the other. Tried clip, audio options, then hopeing to breakout to mono clips but both that and treat as stereo are not where you can choose them. Don't know what I did.

Hope someone can tell me where I am going wrong.

Thanks

Blog Entries

How was the wireless mic hooked up to your camera? i'm assuming this was by an XLR connection and recorded on a seperate channel. If this is the case, then Premiere will have only recorded either the onboard mic or this wireless mic. The reason being Premiere does not support multichannel audio feeds from DV cameras.

I'm assuming this is an XLR on a seperate channel as any other set up would essentially be an either/or scenario. You either have the onboard mic, or plugin an external mic.

It's also highly likely that your captured audio is mono only from the wireless mic. this would explain the mono audio. To fill both channels, use the fill right and fill left audio filters on the same clip.

But if you have recorded on seperate channels and want both in your project, you'll need to use screenalyser to capture all channels.

thanks for replying Marc,

yes, the wireless is hooked up on the cam with xlr ( sony pd170 ) and both channels are differant. I always record with the wireless near the subjects or on the person and use the boom mic as a back up, both recording at the same time.

The audio fills both channels and are seperate audio. Both mikes are recording seperate audio. I just can't turn on or off the two channels individually or seperately. The channels listed as L and R just dont highlight light like video does where you can click the eye off and on to see or not see the video.

I need to eliminate the boom mike channel cause the recording from the wireless is the better audio.

Since there was more ambient noise near me ( boom mike ) I thought I would use the wireless recording cloned on both channels. I would like to use the right or left fill but they don't seem to do anything, maybe because neither of the two channels are enabled where it would allow me to work on them. Is there some way I can place the wireless mike channel twice and just turn off the boom channel?

I feel like there is some small on or off button or some sort of easy fix or toggle I forgot to enable when capturing the video and now it won't let me work with the audio.

Hope this clears up my question a bit more.

Blog Entries

Ray, you have only recorded ONE channel to Premiere Pro. You need to use software such as screenalyser to capture all channels as I said in my previous post.

Ok Marc,

I will look for screenalyser and go at it from there.
    Got a lot to learn.
    thanks