Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Firewire (i.link) Problems, anybody?

Default Sony Firewire (i.link) Problems, anybody?

Hello,
    I have seen on here that there quite a few people having problems where their camera's won't be recognised by their PC's by Firewire (i.link)

I too have this problem on a Sony VX2000, VX9000, HC19E, & a PD150.
    I have tried my camera's with a good dozen PC's with loads of different Firewire cables with no results.
    Of course, i've checked to see if my camera's are all set up correctly to work via Firewire, which they are.

But 4 Sony camera's all having the same problem?

I was just curious if anybody knew if this was a common problem amongst Sony cameras?

Thanks.

.mark

I'm having the same problem with my Vx9000 too, it use to work with windows xp sp1 but it will nit work with service pack 2 my pc works fine with my Canon, JVC, and panasonic cameras.

So i know it's not a PC problem but a sony compatability problem.

did you find a solution.

Adobe.

Blog Entries

I have 3 sony cameras and have gone through 3 pc upgrades / XP reinstalls in the last 2 years with no problems like this.

I suspect this is often reported as sony sell so many camcorders, maybe?

Default Sony Camcorder Not Detected By Windows?

BETTER LISTEN UP. I believe that Sony has a defect with the i-link firewire output port. One day I connected my camcorder to my PC and there it was, no device present (like the camcorder was DEAD and not even plugged in). Now I've always connected before and and windows always made that funny little new device sound, you know the one I mean? If you are having the same problem, this is no coincidence. Better listen up if your camcorders i-link still works. Before you connect your i-link, make sure the PC and Camcorder are OFF! Turn on the PC and then turn on the camcorder after windows has completed booted. NEVER HOT SWAP THE FIREWIRE CABLE. Doing so may cause you to blow out the i-link port in the camcorder like mine (although I cannot be 100% certain that hot swapping is the cause, it's the only logical suspect I can conclude to. I mean really, how do you wear out an i-Link port, but that's what Sony told me "maybe they're all worn out." Hello, I thing they'll calling us stupid.). I've read alot of articles about this kind of connection complains and have concluded the above to the best of my understanding. I've even done a full Firewire PCI Card change out in the PC with a new cable to which produced no change. I'm pretty savvy with electronics and hardware so I doubt that you are me are doing anything wrong, especially since the camcorders all worked perfectly last time we connected them. Ironically, I've burrned up THREE very expensive Sony Digital8 i-Link ports doing hot swapping. Everything else on all camcorders work fine. The composite and S outputs still work just as they always have. Only the i-link blows. I called Sony, got no help except their offers to repair the units at $350.00 each. OUCH! They, I believe, are holding out on a problem they know full well about and are willing that we suffer. However, I would guess that only 1 in 10 people actually ever use the i-link, and likely not too often at that. Sony may not be too concerned about blowing off the few that use the i-link on a fairly regular basis; we're the small guys, easy to kick in the head. On a second note, I've discovered that it may be safer to use a 4-4 firewire cable. I know many PCs have only that fat 6 pin port, but be careful using the 6-4 cable. I understand the six connector port has 12v DC so the problem may be more prone in this circumstance (doesn't seem logical, but I don't have a 100% cause)

Blog Entries

I managed to fry a Panasonic DV connection by using the bundled firewire cable.

Sorry to hear that. I'm not connecting or disconecting firewire cable when PC is powered up (only do so safely when PC is OFF). Switching the camcorder on and off doesn't yet seem to be any trouble (and I'm hoping never will). I'm using a 4-4 firewire cable only. I will not ever use a 4-6 pin firewire cable ever again either just to be extra paranoid. I feel ya man. Hope you get yours all taken care off w/o it costing an arm and leg. I bought a used Sony D8 on eBay for $110.00, works fine. Cheaper than fixing old ones. They record and do everything else just fine, but I must use this new one to play back on PC Capture Aps as old ones still will not (once i-link is blown, they don't heal). I wish the camcorder manufactures would state these risks on the camcorders (I don't need the big sticker about the record lamp getting hot, warn me about the f'n i-link.
    Last edited by trm92647; 01-04-2007 at 05:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Interesting notion trm. I've not experienced the problem (yet) but I think you may have a very valid theory. On my ADVC 110 there is a sticker (albeit small) warning not to hot swap and make sure the unit is switched off before connecting. I think I'll go with the cautious option from hereon and would advise everyone else to do the same.

8. Default

I've got the same problem with my FX1e, and I had the same problem with my PD-150. I've phoned around and I think I need to get it serviced (replace the firewire board) :-(
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Movie: Sony HDR-FX1e and TRV900e for recording

Stills: Sony DSC-f828

Editing: iMax G4 with iMovie HD and FCP HD for capture, Dell Precision 490 quad-core for editing, Dell Precision 470 single-core with 4gb RAM for authoring

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trm92647 View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    This was my first DV camera many moons ago. I got some quotes back then, but the cost of repair was greater than the cost of the camera! I know it's recommended not to, but I'm always yanking out cables from my PC - and risk frying a connection. Then again, this is also coming from a man that regularly switches off his PC using the ON/OFF switch at the front It's so much quicker when you're in a hurry! (And yes, this does go through the regular log off cycle, just that it;s a lot quicker than going through the menus).

Seems sony cameras have the problem more than any other make. Sony deny's all the problem exist as "It must be the operator" I have rarely switched the cable without turning of the camera first. Mine failed. Where to next? Is there an alternative system? Do the later HDD system camera use firewire as well?
    I know I am looking for a new camera as the repair costs are just horrendous here in OZ. HDD cameras can be purchased for around a grand in aussie dollars or close to a week wages for the average blue collar office worker.

I wonder does sony watch this forum with a smile.

Northernangler
    Townsville
    Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast