Thread: 400 for a camera - what's best?

Default 400 for a camera - what's best?

I know this question always gets asked, but I just wondered what suggestions you might have.

I've got 400 to spend on a camera and I would like MiniDV with possibly a "DV In" too as I would like to run Premier Pro back through it and view on a TV as I edit.

Also something that has an external Mic input and has a very good and clear picture quality. I don't know if it's possible to have a 3 CCD at this price but hey it's worth asking.

If I'm expecting too much then I'll have to save up a bit longer but I could do with getting a decent camera pretty soon.

2. Default

Someone correct me if i'm wrong on this, but I know it used to be the case that UK cameras were not allowed to have DV-In due to some bizarre EU regulation which meant that by having this feature the camera would be in a different electronic classification, therefore opening itself to more stringent regulations or something like that. US (NTSC) models did not have this restriction. I am not sure if this is still the case though.

Anyway, for what it's worth, Canon are a solid make, as are some of the Sony models. You should be able to get something pretty decent for 400. The Sony HC94E is 3 CCD, and the cheapest I've seen that is about 470.

There's some great sites and forums out there for camera reviews etc. Here are a couple, but I'm sure you'll find more on Google;

You just need to do your research. Plus with cameras there's new models coming out all the time, so it can be a bit confusing and overwhleming!