Thread: NTSC video capture to a UK PC?

Default NTSC video capture to a UK PC?

Forgive me if this has been asked before as I am new to the site.

I have a UK video recorder that can playback NTSC video tapes, it does this fine when playing the videos through my TV.

But when I connect my video player to my PC and play the NTSC tapes, the picture comes through to my PC in black and white. I can do this with PAL videos no problem with good results?

I have tried with 3 different types of software, so I imagine thats not the problem.

Is it down to my Video or my Graphics card? Is there something in UK PC's that can not handle NTSC playback?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, does anybody know a solution.

Thanks in anticipation.

It sounds like you need to go into the settings for your software and tell to expect ntsc video.

The software allows me to select the source input type, I have tried selecting NTSC_M and NTSC_MJ and both come up as black and white?

I am thinking of buying a US video recorder as that will play true NTSC, so should solve the problem.

Blog Entries

It 'could' be that the video card supports PAL only.

It 'could' be that the video card supports PAL only.
    It might eb the problem, but the software that came with it, supposedly supports NTSC.

I think it is down to the UK video player having NTSC playback, but not true NTSC playback.

I was hoping I could find some software that might allow me to catch it, but no luck so far.

The truth is that pal players have been capable of NTSC playback for a number of years, it just more recently the manufacturers list it as a feature.

Do you know the tape is good?

The other thing is, how are you getting the video out of the player, if the signal is coming from the scart plug or the Composite Out and connected to the Svideo In on the capture card, then the signal being sent is composite, this would give you a b/w picture. Try choosing the Composite In setting.

I'm sorry if all this is a bit obvious, but it's best to check everything.

7. Default

There is no such thing as 'true NTSC playback' - if it says NTSC playback, that's what it does. It won't be any different if you bought a US VHS recorder. The problem does not lie with the VHS player or the tape. PC's can handle NTSC footage just fine, so the problem is most likely a software setting or something to do with your cable setup. The fact that you have tired 3 software programmes though may suggest that this is not the problem, although it could still be a setting somewhere.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is in your case, but in most cases where a black and white picture is seen from an NTSC source, it means that the RGB signal is not getting through - which invariably comes down to a cable problem. It's possilbe your graphics card could be the problem - check the settings here to see if there is anything you can tweak.