Thread: dvd editing

Default dvd editing

Hello people,
    I have just bought a standalone DVD copier (cyberhome 1600) and have transfered all my analogue video tapes to DVD disks and am very happy with the picture and sound quality, But I would now like to edit some of the video on my computer, I did plan to use Ulead video studio 8 but this does not recognize the file type, I can copy the entire disks using clone dvd, but cannot transfer them to hard drive for editing as the format is unknown in most programs ,,the disks shows as MTK in my D:drive. does anyone have any idea how to achieve this.

sorry if I have posted in wrong section or forum but this forum was recomended a while ago to me.

AMD 3000+
    160 gig hard drive
    1gig ram
    DVD writer drive
    DVD rom drive
    Nvidia 6600gt graphics

Many thanks Steve..

What is the MTK u describe? If you record onto a DVD recorder the files should have a VOB extension which you can rename to AVI and then they should open alright in your editing program.

Default vidoe edit problem

Nikosony
    Thanks for your reply, MTK is what I see when I look at the drive with the disk in it, if I do an explore on the drive I can see the vob files an example is " vts-01-1 vob file". but when I open ulead video studio and try to open the files for editing I get the message "D:\video_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB.VSP' file is not valid. I have to say I am new to this so how do I rename the file to avi, is it as easy as renaming any other computer file.

please excuse my ignorance and thanks again for the help.
    Steve

Default video editing

Nikosony,
    Thanks for your help I have done it and all I needed to do was change the view file menu so the file extensions are not greyed out and then I renamed the filename to mpeg, I can now use Ulead studio to edit my video.

Thanks again Steve

Glad I could help, you're lucky Ulead allows you to work with the mpeg format as a lot of editing software including that from Adobe doesn't. It insists that all imported files have either a .avi or .mov file extension. If you have problems with your .vob files again, just change the file extension to .avi or .mov instead of .mpg.