Thread: Virtual Frames?

Default Virtual Frames?

I have captured video using a highspeed camera but I also want to virtually add frames. I was wondering if theres a program that virtually creates frames by looking at the previous frame and next frame. Basically if I had a video of 10000 frames and I had this program and in between each frame it will render a new frame. A frame I did not capture but a virtually software created frame. Anyone know the programs name? Or should I elaborate?

Any NLE that allows you to slow down footage will do this.

What are you using to edit at the moment?

The money though is how you want that 'in between' frame created. There's a couple fo relatively simple methods and then there's doing the job properly thorugh interpolation. Needless to say, the latter costs a lot more.

If you just want to repeat frames to fill the gaps or cross merge frames to fill the gaps then this is easily achievable.

Assuming your NLE does do this just try running your clip at 50% speed. It will add the extra frames for you. You decide if it does it good enough.

For example, for Premiere Pro, it will do the easy stuff for you but for proper interpolation you will need a plugin like Twixtor.

:/ sorry slowing the actual video down is not what i meant :/
    Ok let me explain... frame1 and frame 2, slow down the video by adding keyframes so it ends up as frame1 frame1 frame2 frame2. This is not what i want. I want to know the name of a program that does this... frame1 frame2, render out frame1.5 so it ends as frame1 frame1.5 frame2

Blog Entries

Alan mentioned the magic word for you "interpolation". This word decribes exactly what you want to achieve, i.e something inbetween two values.

As he says, a plugin for Adobe Premiere from Re:vision will do this for you - Twixtor.

ty

Quote Originally Posted by ralynxi
    :/ sorry slowing the actual video down is not what i meant :/
    Ok let me explain... frame1 and frame 2, slow down the video by adding keyframes so it ends up as frame1 frame1 frame2 frame2. This is not what i want. I want to know the name of a program that does this... frame1 frame2, render out frame1.5 so it ends as frame1 frame1.5 frame2
    you just described what it does the same way I did.!!!! I clearly mentioned two distinct options. Either repeating frames adn tehn interpolating frames. You latched on to the least good option clearly implying I'm talking rubbish. I'm not.

And exactly how do you expect to add these extra frames (call it 1.5 if you like) and it not have the effect of slowing the video down?????

sorry >.<
    Im not to aware with the terms you use. Kinda new at this :/. Let me see here... ok in any animation program you make keyframes, then you tell it to tween. It automatically makes newly rendered frames. This is what I want to do, only its predicting what these inbetween images will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ralynxi
    sorry >.<
    Im not to aware with the terms you use. Kinda new at this :/. Let me see here... ok in any animation program you make keyframes, then you tell it to tween. It automatically makes newly rendered frames. This is what I want to do, only its predicting what these inbetween images will be.
    yes, this is what happend during slo-mo. remember? video footage always runs att he same speed no matter what. Be in 25 fps or 30fps, it's a constant. So if you add more frames between each pair and then run the thing at the same spped you have effectively slowed the speed down.

As i tried to explain before, the real trick, is how you build that 'tween' you mentioned. The easiest is to simply repeat the last frame. This can look very poor as you no doubt guessed. The next best approach is to blend the two frames. this is fine if you are adding one frame between two. However if you slow the clip dow toa quarter speed then you are addingmore than one frame (or tween). the 'blend' is then made gradually sing opacity type rules. I'm no real fan of this method either as it still looks jerky. The best method, and the one that costs 'real' money is to examine the frames either side and extrapolate what the frame should actually look like for each 'tween'. Very processor hungry and very slow. You will need something like the Twixtor plugin to do this. It seems to do it incredibly well though and offers a whole lot more than just slo-mo.

Once again ty, that was very helpful. I needed a lil more of a walk in the park to understand. ty

Your best bet with all of this is to just play with things and then when you think you have is sussed, play some more.

With this subject, you can read as many books as youlike. They will help but absolutely no substitute for learning yourself.

Stick with it, give it some time, and ask questions whenever necessary.

Cheers.