Thread: cleaning the head drum of my sony digital camera

Default cleaning the head drum of my sony digital camera

has anone done it? I am about to do it manualy on my camera. I read quite a bit on this but before I go to it...I want to ask.

can you use a piece of paper and ultreen cleaning solution for this method..
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/165/4, lookk at step 4 and 5

thanks for your oppinion.
    nam

I don't know the camera in question - but if it's miniDV, why wouldn't you use a regular cleaning tape?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Default to Ian

regular cleaning tape can only do so much. It does not clean the roller pins and the capstain roller. after awhile of cleaning tape you eventually need to have professional service to clean the head drums for you. My camera is a sony trv900.

if your in the uk i dont know how much it will cost, but here in the states where i live, there is a professional video company, called Taurelli video, and they will clean the heads of your camera for $20, using wetclean, open clean, and dry clean, my camera was really gunked up for a while because i ran some tapes that had been through a dirty camera alot, and i kept chopping up, took it to them, and here it is a year later, and no chopping. Also make sure you use the SP setting on your camera. LP actually can cause some tape backup, and SP adds quality (or so i've been told)
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Blog Entries

I am not sure about this cleaning thing. Some people say clean heads b4 every shoot, and others seem never to bother.

Personally I have never cleaned the heads on any camera ever and dont seem to suffer from regular dropouts.

Default I used to treat my camera like that

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    I am not sure about this cleaning thing. Some people say clean heads b4 every shoot, and others seem never to bother.

Personally I have never cleaned the heads on any camera ever and dont seem to suffer from regular dropouts.

Dont worry Mark, you will get it one day!

c.