Thread: Quicktime with Mircosoft Users!!!

Default Quicktime with Mircosoft Users!!!

Hey,

I just finished a short video, and I had it all en-coded (I belive thats the term) to a ".mov" format. Quailty was excellent, everything looked amazing, as I was pretty proud of my work. So, I post it up on the web, get the word out, telling people that the video is completed and go to the website to download.

As people were starting to download, I decided to go downstairs and myself some supper. After my supper I come back upstairs to see that have 25 unread email messages. I open up my email broswer, and come to see that all the emails are from friends, and they all say the exact same thing. "Hey Bill, We can't view your video, we need Quicktime 7 and our computers don't support it." (Windows 98 Users of cource).

I sorta wonder, why the hell wouldn't Apple/Quicktime make Quictime 7 work for Windows 98 users? Now I have more people going off on me about something that I can't handle. There not mad at me, more fustrated at there computers, and Quicktime. Still, Quicktime should make a plugin for Quicktime 7 so the bloody Windows 98 users can see some video's!!

Anyways, Rant Over....i'll just spend more time encoding it to .wmv of something.

Down with Windows!
    PEaaaaaaaaace

Blog Entries

Dont blame windows, blame apple. They even charge users to get full screen, they suck. Use wmv, aplletisers can get that player fully functional for free from 'evil' m soft !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Dont blame windows, blame apple. They even charge users to get full screen, they suck. Use wmv, aplletisers can get that player fully functional for free from 'evil' m soft !
    Ya, your right. From now on all my video's, will be ".wmv" or ".mpeg-4." Speaking of .mpeg-4, there wouldn't be any troubles with using that format, would there? (For Windows users of cource).

I am a Apple user, and love it!
    PEaaaaaaaaace

go to microsofts site and search for windows media encoder, in premiere export the actual uncompressed avi, then take it into the windows media encoder, set it to some nice setting, and voila, you have a beautiful .wmv (the premiere wmv exports seem blocky to me) and its actually pretty fast at doing the transcode!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

or tell yer mates to upgrade their windows - 98 is awful!!

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Hey! Win98SE is still useful and it's paid for. Too many older programs won't run under Win2K or XP, programs I still use. Plus I don't have to get permission from mother microsloth every time I transfer my drives to a better mobo.

OP - Re: MPEG4... be careful. Not too many players for that out there, so compatibility with your intended audience may be a problem. If you intend to use the QT6 mov container for mpeg4 video, be sure to compress with the 'simple' profile, otherwise QT will barf. Nero's MPEG4 compression is pretty good, if set to the QT compatible simple profile. Their Showtime player works ok with their own output.

WM9 compression for WMV, WMP works very well. Codecs are available for MP6, and up.

It would be so nice if ther was just one universal format for good video, but it's not likely to happen.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70