Thread: Conversion: My Confusion and the File Growing Industry

Default Conversion: My Confusion and the File Growing Industry

I've recently become rather more impressed with conservatively sized video files. Mostly, because I've no idea how to make them happen. I have some .ogm files that I wish to burn; however, my burning software cannot handle them. Therefore, I've been trying to convert them to a friendlier format; however, at best this more than doubles their size, if not worse. Where do the wonderfully small .avi video files, with excellent quality, come from? How are they made? What software do I need to make them? Any tips would be highly appreciated.
    If only Nietzsche had invented computers... I might have had something worth while to post here.

Blog Entries

How do you want to burn the files? If you want to create a DVD (or VCD), then I'm afraid you will have to put up with the larger files sizes as these formats require MPEG.

Yes, of course. But my burning software does it's own conversions anyway. All together, this adds up. Ideally, therefore, I'd like to start with a respectable file size.
    If only Nietzsche had invented computers... I might have had something worth while to post here.

Blog Entries

Forgive me for being a tad obtuse, but could you confirm what you plan to do with the files, e.g play them on a DVD player?

Let's haggle: I'll forgive your obtuseness if you forgive my vagueness.

Anyway, I do plan to burn them to DVD to play on my DVD player. Right now, I'm using VSOConvertXtoDVD to burn my movies. So far, I've found it to be very reliable except for the slight deficit that it doesn't burn .ogm files.

Blog Entries

The extra stage of encoding to a format your burning software recognises will degrade the quality of video slightly and will of course increase the time spent creating your video, but you'll end up with exctly the same end file size on the DVD.

Alright then, so what can I do to avoid the degradation of quality?

Also, what about my original question? How are those smaller files made to begin with? The fact is, I tried what you told me. I converted to MPEG, and there were still about 400, 000 Mb added on top of that during the burning process.

Blog Entries

400,000 Mb ! ! !

Hmmm...

When I export my created video from "Final Cut Express" I usally go to "Export using Quicktime conversion", I then select my format (EX: ".avi" ".mov" ".mpeg" etc). Then I select what I want to do it, from another menu. Makes the quailty practically the same as I imported it. BUT since I want my video's to be viewed on a computer, there screen size is a lot smaller compaired to something you would see on a Televison screen.

The only thing I can think of, that you could change it to .mpeg or .avi, but your going to have to suffer through some quailty loss.
    PEaaaaaaaaace