Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Anybody have a link to a tutorial about capture cards?

  1. #1

    Default Anybody have a link to a tutorial about capture cards?

    Do you need one or is it optional?

    What do you look for out of a capture card? (What are my options when shopping for one?)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    If you've got a DV camcorder, all you need is a firewire card. You'll probably even have a firewire socket on your PC already (in which case you won't even need to buy a seperate firewire card).

    You'll need a dedictated "capture card" if you're planning to capture analogue video.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    If you've got a DV camcorder, all you need is a firewire card. You'll probably even have a firewire socket on your PC already (in which case you won't even need to buy a seperate firewire card).

    You'll need a dedictated "capture card" if you're planning to capture analogue video.
    Doh... I never saw your post.

    I poked around on google for like an entire hour figuring out what a "capture card" was. Now, the only thing I don't know is what a Matrox RTX100XPNC won't do that I'll have to get extra equipment for. (My bank account prays the answer is "Nothing! It does everything! Imports audio too!")

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,191

    Default

    if you have a MiniDv camcorder then all you need is a firewire cable and port on your PC.

    You will only really need a 'capture card' if you wish to source from analogue signals, i.e. when transferring VHS tapes from your VCR to your PC to convert them to DVD or something.

    The Matrox RTX100 you mentioned is a big beast doing much more for you than i suspect you need. It relies on having Premiere pro and when the two are used together for SD editing then you can do moct of what you want in real time with no wait or need for rendering. This is the key selling point for them. It also performs conversion to MPEG2 fro DVD production in real time too, which is great for transferring those VHS tapes I can tell you.

    However, the card appears to be rather fussy about what hardware you put it on.

    If that doesn't answer the question then just ask more.

    Cheers.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    If that doesn't answer the question then just ask more.
    Can it do HD real-time rendering as well?

    or only SD? :(

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,191

    Default

    The RTX100 is strictly SD. Matrox produce their Axio systems for High def. You'll need at least five figures to buy one though.

    However, there is an alternative. Go to www.cineform.com and loook at their Aspect HD product. Realtime High def from s/w only.

    I couldn't beleive it either but it works. The only way to edit high def on Premiere pro.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    The RTX100 is strictly SD. Matrox produce their Axio systems for High def. You'll need at least five figures to buy one though.

    However, there is an alternative. Go to www.cineform.com and loook at their Aspect HD product. Realtime High def from s/w only.

    I couldn't beleive it either but it works. The only way to edit high def on Premiere pro.
    Dang... I was hoping that the RTX100 would be able to do some HD. I had seen the Axio ( http://www.sharbor.com/products/MTXN5010042.html ), but that's way out of my price range (even with the site's markdown from $4495.00 to $4494.99... WOW! ). I'm only 24, and I'm spending nearly all my $$$ as it is. :(

Similar Threads

  1. Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Capture Cards
    By david618 in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 08:40 AM
  2. Graphics cards....etc!
    By windog in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:56 AM
  3. Capture Cards
    By fastedit in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
  4. Workstation cards
    By p4ocer in forum The Perfect Video Editing PC
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 12:24 AM
  5. MX and FX video cards with VIVO
    By fur in forum The Perfect Video Editing PC
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 06:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •