Thread: Anybody have a link to a tutorial about capture cards?

Default Anybody have a link to a tutorial about capture cards?

Do you need one or is it optional?

What do you look for out of a capture card? (What are my options when shopping for one?)

Blog Entries

If you've got a DV camcorder, all you need is a firewire card. You'll probably even have a firewire socket on your PC already (in which case you won't even need to buy a seperate firewire card).

You'll need a dedictated "capture card" if you're planning to capture analogue video.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    If you've got a DV camcorder, all you need is a firewire card. You'll probably even have a firewire socket on your PC already (in which case you won't even need to buy a seperate firewire card).

You'll need a dedictated "capture card" if you're planning to capture analogue video.
    Doh... I never saw your post.

I poked around on google for like an entire hour figuring out what a "capture card" was. Now, the only thing I don't know is what a Matrox RTX100XPNC won't do that I'll have to get extra equipment for. (My bank account prays the answer is "Nothing! It does everything! Imports audio too!")

if you have a MiniDv camcorder then all you need is a firewire cable and port on your PC.

You will only really need a 'capture card' if you wish to source from analogue signals, i.e. when transferring VHS tapes from your VCR to your PC to convert them to DVD or something.

The Matrox RTX100 you mentioned is a big beast doing much more for you than i suspect you need. It relies on having Premiere pro and when the two are used together for SD editing then you can do moct of what you want in real time with no wait or need for rendering. This is the key selling point for them. It also performs conversion to MPEG2 fro DVD production in real time too, which is great for transferring those VHS tapes I can tell you.

However, the card appears to be rather fussy about what hardware you put it on.

If that doesn't answer the question then just ask more.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    If that doesn't answer the question then just ask more.
    Can it do HD real-time rendering as well?

or only SD? :(

The RTX100 is strictly SD. Matrox produce their Axio systems for High def. You'll need at least five figures to buy one though.

However, there is an alternative. Go to www.cineform.com and loook at their Aspect HD product. Realtime High def from s/w only.

I couldn't beleive it either but it works. The only way to edit high def on Premiere pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    The RTX100 is strictly SD. Matrox produce their Axio systems for High def. You'll need at least five figures to buy one though.

However, there is an alternative. Go to www.cineform.com and loook at their Aspect HD product. Realtime High def from s/w only.

I couldn't beleive it either but it works. The only way to edit high def on Premiere pro.
    Dang... I was hoping that the RTX100 would be able to do some HD. I had seen the Axio ( http://www.sharbor.com/products/MTXN5010042.html ), but that's way out of my price range (even with the site's markdown from $4495.00 to $4494.99... WOW! ). I'm only 24, and I'm spending nearly all my $$$ as it is. :(