Thread: After effects

Default After effects

I keep hearing a lot about Afetr Effects. Can anyone tell me what the app doea and if it is of any use when editing video. I'm trying to put together a couple of videos of one of my clients' staff conferences and wonder if after effects would improve the finasl version. The adobe product overview says that is is used with film, video and DVD.

Thanks

Ken.

Dell Dimension 2400. Pentium 2.8 GHz Processor. 1GB RAM. 75 GB HDD. 160GB Seagate USB2 External HDD. 17\" TFT Monitor. Canon XM2. Panasonic NV GS 120. Adobe Premiere 6.5. Adobe Premiere Elements.

This is actually a VERY good question and one a lot of people stuggle with for a while, including myself. I truly wish I had a stock answer to give you but playing with the trial version should help a lot and a read of a book or two - I rate the Trish and Chris Meyer offerings above all others.

Premiere is a video editor. After effects is, quite simply, a compositing tool. The functionality of the two do overlap which is where the confusion often lies.

You can sort fo think of After Effects as a special effects package or as a 'Motion Graphics' package.

thanks

I'll get the trial version and have a play

Ken
    Dell Dimension 2400. Pentium 2.8 GHz Processor. 1GB RAM. 75 GB HDD. 160GB Seagate USB2 External HDD. 17\" TFT Monitor. Canon XM2. Panasonic NV GS 120. Adobe Premiere 6.5. Adobe Premiere Elements.

I would also advise you to, before you install it and start using up your 30 days, to study the tutorials at the creative cow and other places. These and/or buying a good book on the tool willprove very benficial.

Before you start editing or doing any kind of video work, I'd seriously think about getting a bigger second internal hard disk. The 75GB one you have is far too small. You'll be amazed at how many gigabytes video, audio and all the auxillary files are created when you start. I'd look at a second disk with 250GB on it and do all your video work on it and keep your applications and OS on the 75GB. I'd get my head around editing video first and then move onto special effects later.

After Effects is a compositing application and is for layering up video and graphics rarther than editing it together.

Some uses for it would be creating animations, flashy titles, title sequences and special effects.

Think photoshop with a timeline.
    DESIRED YEAR: 1982

pretty much after effects is a industry standard in motion graphics,
    Dont let anyone tell you otherwise, Half of what you see on MTV Or VH1 in terms of Show Intro's Channel spots and such where done in after effects.

I know the guy who did the intro's for the top Celeb bits on Vh1 along with the Pimp my Ride Intro

Its one of the few Software packages thats available on PC and Mac and is used widly for tv work
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.