Thread: Need help to make dvd's from avi

Default Need help to make dvd's from avi

hi,
    could some one tell me how to turn a avi to a dvd that will will work on a standard dvd player. please include names of programs. i have tried several ways and all my dvd player seems to say is invalid title the way i made was i took a avi converted it to mpeg using mpeg converter then i encoded using Tmpg dvd then i used dvd shrink to shrink and burn. i would apprecate any help.

another words could u tell me step by step how to make a avi format to dvd format then burn it to disk.i would also like to know the names of the programs that u r usinng please
    thx umar

If all you wish to do is view the file on a set top box then i suggest you need do nothing other than burn it as a CD data disk if the file will fit.

My set top DVD player will play mpeg's and avi's from data CD without the need to make them VCD format. I think any new-ish DVD player will do this.

However, if you wish to master a 'proper' DVD with a menu system etc then your question holds. I've been playing with Adobe Encore DVD for mine. Not cheap and (some say) not the simplest to get on with either.

Blog Entries

Millsy, what DVD player are you using?

Did have a Samsung 709 from the good old days but when i bought my PC a couple of years ago with CD writer and found they wouldn't play I had to (regrettably) 'upgrade'.

I use the term lightly because until I find something decent I've bought some cheap player from Smiths for about 50 until I could sort out soemthign decent. I think it's a Cyberhome model (will check tonight) but as it plays everything I've thrown at it so far I just haven't got around to getting a 'good one' and relagiting it to the kids' room.

It def plays MPGs cos that's how i watch the brilliance that is "Batman: Dead End". Hmm, should get around to mastering this properly now I know how

I'm now concerned (thinking about it from your reponse) whether I might have been fibbing about playing AVI's. I'll have to check. Thought I had though.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

On further reflection, my player does play the AVI files captures on my digital still camera in video mode. These are compressed though. I can;t image why it would play these and not other forms of AVI so, YES, it does play AVI as well as MPG.

I remember including one as a test when copying JPGs onto a CD for TV watching to see if it would deal with it and it does.

Blog Entries

You're lucky In my experience, DVD players have been EXTREMELY picky about what they play!

Marc, you got me to wondering about this so I had a quick dig around. The player I have is this one http://www.cyberhome.com/products.asp?Product=300 From a quick (and I do mean quick) look around it's the only one i can find that mentions playing MPGs.

Because the cheapy player I bought plays them I just assumed they all did - just like they all play MP3s and JPGs nowadays. I guess I've just been lucky then.

Apologies if I've lead anyone astray with my posts on this thread.

erm ok but dat dident really tell me exactly how 2 make a dvd from a avi or what progs to use to make em :S

Blog Entries

Sorry, got a bit sidetracked there!

This is a good start: http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/How-to-make-a-DVD.html

Then this post shows you how to do it on a budget: http://www.videoeditingforums.co.uk/...hlight=ifoedit

For a list of DVD authoring software, check here: http://www.videoeditingforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=548