Thread: Creating a Reflection Effect

Default Creating a Reflection Effect

Folks,

Any ideas how I might create the effect of something being reflected in a window that people are looking out of?

The camera is outside filming people staring through a window. It's filmed at an angle so you can see the reflection of an object off screen.

It will be a huge machine that won't really be there but the reflection needs to be seen in the window.

I have a 3D model of the machine and could composite using a key but could do with some ideas if anyone has any.

Here's an example of what I mean. You can see the tree in the window, but not in the actual scene. So imagine the tree is my 3D model.

Cheers

Blog Entries

I would suggest either bog standard chromakey (put blue or green cloth/paper over the glass) and add it in post or create a photoshop image with an alpha matte and have it as a semi-transparent overlay just on the glass, so you see something of the people behind the window. (Record the video with a pola-filter so that you don't get reflections off the glass)

Simple...in theory. But then you have to do it, not me.

Thanks Guru I'll give it a shot this weekend and do some experimenting.

You could also use a PiP of your machine and scale it to the size of your window

then pull down the opacity of the PiP to the desired amount, so you can see the PiP and also the window and the people looking through it.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel
    You could also use a PiP of your machine and scale it to the size of your window

then pull down the opacity of the PiP to the desired amount, so you can see the PiP and also the window and the people looking through it.
    This is how I did the opposite effect a year ago. I wanted some video to be playing on a TV set (CRT) but so used pip (or corner pin) but it wasn't right so lowering the opacity a bit allowed me to still see the reflections off the glass screen. It looked good after that.