Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanently editing clips?

Default Permanently editing clips?

I tend to leave my cam running between shots and edit out later (using premier pro 1.5). However, when capturing from the cam this leaves me with very large avi files much of which is not used.
    At present I edit by importing clips to the left hand monitor window, set in and out points and drag to the timeline.
    But this leaves the source avi file intact.
    So - is it possible to permanently cut frames from the avi files leaving them smaller?

Thanks
    notmilk

You could do but it would just be another editting stage to your workflow.

By far your best bet would be to only capture the footage you actually want. You will find after a few projects that captured footage can soon build up on you HDD so keeping it to a minimum is a good idea.

Also, why is it you tend to leave the camera running between shots? Seems a little odd to me. For me this would mean something of the order of needing ten miniDV tapes rather than just one.

OK maybe i exagerated (sp) a little - i don't leave the tape running for hours or anything! But i do give myself plenty of footage before and after so that i can edit the best bits.
    You could do but it would just be another editting stage to your workflow.
    Great - how?

well u can either cut up each clip and save as a seprate file ( I wouldn't do that) or u could just make a new sequence and cut up each clip and put it in the new sequence and if u need one clip u can copy it and paste it in the other sequence, and also save the project file so that those clips will always be there, i hope that helps!!!

Exactly, the extra stage int he workflow basically amount ot what you are already doing.

So you're saying: edit the clips removing all superflous bits (i will leave a few seconds for slip edits/ transitions) to a new sequence (or sequences) - then do file - export - movie and save out. Then delete the original avi's.

Yeah that could work
    Thanks

no do'nt save the clips u cut into a move, just goto file>save as, and save it as a project, but u can also save it as a movie, u will just have to cut it again when u wanna use it.

no do'nt save the clips u cut into a move, just goto file>save as, and save it as a project
    But if you do that you have to keep the avi files on disk; otherwise you get the "media offline" thing. I'm trying to save disk space!

Respectfully, given that your main aim seems to be to save disk space I do think you're going about this the wrong way. You have captured large AVI files and now wish to 'repair' them.

With problems like this, you really should always go back to first principals if you can. Delete the stuff you have and just recapture the bits you actually want. Problem sorted!

OK but that doesn't really work in this instance - how do you recapture your daughter's first bath? (for example)
    Generally i will film my daughter for half an hour, because i don't know when she's going to smile, laugh or whatever - so there could be 10 to 15 minutes of her just sitting there - which is all well and good to look back on in future maybe but makes pretty boring watching for anyone else (grandparents etc)
    So i edit all the smily laughy bits and want to discard the rest...
    Hope this brings some clarity on what i'm trying to do....
    thanks
    notmilk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast