Thread: Looking to buy camcorder, budget up to 350

Default Looking to buy camcorder, budget up to 350

Good evening, I've searched the forum for advice but can't quite establish the best option for me. Basically I'm looking to buy a new camcorder to video the family and the ability to take still photo's. My budget goes up to 350 but if I'm honest I could really do with spending 250. I like the look of the Sony DCR-HC19 but the whole of the Sony range looks good. I would like to download the film onto laptop and maybe via tape recorder (Old fashioned I know). I appreciate your help on this.

Well, my best first advice I would give is that if you intend to edit the video on your computer at all then get a MiniDV camcorder with a firewire (i-Link if it's Sony) connection. Anything else is just naff for editting.

Other than that, then just go woth whatever you like when you try out in the stores. but....

....do not be swayed by fancy features and effects on the camera. You will never use them. Also, you are intesrested in optical zoom capability and not digital zoom. Again you will (or should) never use it.

Blog Entries

Dont buy a samsung ! CHeck it camera has (indeed do you need) DV in. Many value cameras dont have it.

Considor s/h , well i would.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Dont buy a samsung ! CHeck it camera has (indeed do you need) DV in. Many value cameras dont have it.

Considor s/h , well i would.
    I'll second that.

Ask the retailer if you can check the camera first for quality and its facilities. If they don't let you then don't buy from them, even if it looks like it's the best camera in the world because it won't be.

We have trained eyes and can pick up on bad quality images whereas a bunch of middle aged women with glasses working in the store won't have a clue, so taking it back when you are unhappy will be a test of endurance.