Thread: Panasonic [retro] M10 battery + hi!

Default Panasonic [retro] M10 battery + hi!

hello from ric - into mixing media,

i recently acquired an analogue Panasonic M10 camcorder, which works fine off the mains but the battery does not seem to hold a charge? i charged it last night and there was only enough power in it to illuminate the viewfinder; when i recharged it, it behaved as if it was completely flat (still charging now). has the battery become defective - i'd like to compare notes before buying a new one, if so?

advice appreciated

thanks,
    ric

Hi, Ric, I'm pretty much sure that battery has worn out. Buy a new one, or even better, a battery pack. I used to power my MS1 with something like that and it never fails you.

Blog Entries

Hi Ric. With the age of an M10 (I had one in the 80s and progressed onto an M40), it's not surprising the battery is knackered. They're a big lump of a thing too, and new ones aren't that good either. From memory, the best you'll get is thirty of fourty minutes. Not sure of the best way to go, because the connections inside the camera are almost impossible to access to solder on some cables and use a pack.

Good Luck!

Default battery or ?

Hi Andy,

what about a new battery though - or do you think it might be something internal? 30-40 minutes is fine by me - for experimentation - at the moment i can only get the camcorder working on mains
    ric

Default battery

Mihai,

sorry - i only got one notification for 2 posts

yes, i would have thought the battery - the camera seems to work perfectly on mains; sounds like a battery pack is an excellent idea, but not really practical for the M10?

i'm into (hopefully) mixing dv, vhs + ciné, hence my interest in the retro analogue Panasonic: beautiful-looking beast, though!

ric

I'm not familiar with the M10, probably impractical to connect a battery pack, as Andy said. I do know the MS1 (which I have owned), MS7 - both very good SVHS cameras, the M3000, M4500 (VHS) and M9000 (SVHS).
    If you're into this seriously, I strongly advise you to get an M9000 which is the ultimate SuperVHS camera IMO.

Blog Entries

Ric. Highly unlikely to be an internal problem. New battery shop for you tomorrow I guess!

You're right though, the M10 and subsequent cameras certainly looked the part in their time. If you search eBay that range are often found. Not so sure about the batteries. Last ones I bought were £70 ish each. But that was in 1985.

Default M10

Hi guys,

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai
    I'm not familiar with the M10, probably impractical to connect a battery pack, as Andy said. I do know the MS1 (which I have owned), MS7 - both very good SVHS cameras, the M3000, M4500 (VHS) and M9000 (SVHS).
    If you're into this seriously, I strongly advise you to get an M9000 which is the ultimate SuperVHS camera IMO.
    M9000 - i will look out for this, with thanks

Andy wrote:

Ric. Highly unlikely to be an internal problem. New battery shop for you tomorrow I guess!

i guess!!

You're right though, the M10 and subsequent cameras certainly looked the part in their time. If you search eBay that range are often found. Not so sure about the batteries. Last ones I bought were £70 ish each. But that was in 1985.

the vhs cassette recording quality is impressive - this is a s/h camera which has been very well looked after - i am really crossing my fingers for a new battery: restriction to mains work will greatly restrict what i can do with this beasty ...

glad i found this forum & many thanks to you both for your help + advice!

ric