Thread: Videoforum show at Earls Court... Who went?

Blog Entries

Default Videoforum show at Earls Court... Who went?

Just wondered who else went? I met the One True Mcgill at last too and shared some thoughts and a coffee (Cheers Mate). Just got back and haven't stopped thinking about all the shiney goodies on offer. Only spent a few hundred quid too when I could have spent thousands. Anyone else go and have some opinions of it?

PS. Sorry Alan, forgot your card!

Default Re: Videoforum show at Earls Court... Who went?

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    Just wondered who else went? I met the One True Mcgill at last too and shared some thoughts and a coffee (Cheers Mate). Just got back and haven't stopped thinking about all the shiney goodies on offer. Only spent a few hundred quid too when I could have spent thousands. Anyone else go and have some opinions of it?

PS. Sorry Alan, forgot your card!
    Hee hee. No worries on the card. I agree about spending the money though. Far too many 'toys' on offer.

I enquired about a light set and turned away when it seem they started from just over 2K. Too much for me I'm afraid. But I will soon, no doubnt, be buying one of those B-Hague track dollies. For the sake of about only (?) 250 I would rather buy one than spend a couple of weekends trying to build my own. Too big to carry so I couldn't/wouldn't have got one from the show even if they had any there.

Interesting to see a Glidecam Smooth Shooter up there, even if both the smooth shooter and the Glidecam 4000 , sitting on it, were not balanced correctly. No doubt this has cost them sales this week. Shame.

Anyway, a great couple of day, topped off by having a nice cuppa and chat with a certain Mr. Media.

So. you going to get the one with the seat or without?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Videoforum show at Earls Court... Who went?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    ....the smooth shooter and the Glidecam 4000 , sitting on it, were not balanced correctly. No doubt this has cost them sales this week.....
    I'll bet it did too. Too bad that at a show where so many full pockets are walking around, they didn't take the time to set the kit up correctly. I wanted to buy a secondhand Sony camera from Prestons but the 'sales' man (I use the word loosely) as good as cut me dead, even though my wallet was in my hand and Stevie Wonder could have seen the buying signals. So, instead of spending a huge wad, I spent 39 on a magic arm. Their loss I guess.
    Too bad so many men in suits aren't trained properly, or simply don't care about the customers. My pet hate is bad service, and that experience cost them a sure-fire sale.

Hmm, quite a contrast to last year then. I found Prestons more than helpful last year. When I was ready a few weeks later I bought my camera, microphone and tripod from them. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD
    So. you going to get the one with the seat or without?
    The first item onthis link. http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Universal%2...Dolly%20D5.htm

It actually look smuch more substantial than it does on the web. i.e. I thought they were skateboard wheels on thebottom. They're not. the diameter of the wheels is about 10cm. As I discussed with Andy at the show, at that price it is just not worth my time to design and make my own.

Blog Entries

Anyone that went fancy writing a brief overview of the day? I couldn't make it this year, so it would be just "super" if someone could write a similar piece to last year's http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews...2_articleid/83

What were the buzz words this year? Any news on Blu Ray? Better or Worse than last year? If you don't have time to write a "proper" article, jot down the key points and I'll pad it out!