Thread: baffled! - widescreen plays as 4:3

Default baffled! - widescreen plays as 4:3

Hi have popped a little edit together in a widescreen project and exported to avi file as a widescreen as well...... the avi plays in windows media player as a 4:3???
    Any ideas why
    Any thoughts on how to get a widescreen avi file?

I would like to be able to burn the file to cd (as data file) so recipients can watch, but guarentee that they will be watching it as widescreen movie.

thanks for time to read this
    thoughts would be most appreciated

stephenn

Well, the difference between widescreen (16:9) and 4:3 is not extra pixels but purely the shape of the pixels that are there. If the individual pixels are square then you willget a 4:3 picture. To get widescreen you need to stretch them out a little.

My experience (and I'm not sure if this is the official word on the subject or not) is that AVI files always have square pixels.

I suggest you export your movie to a format that 'knows' about it's widescreen nature.

That is an excellent point, and does indeed make sense, thanks for thought.

My worry was that what I was saving was not what the premier project was actually producing on a file.
    I have to save a copy of my little video production as NTSC for a USA TV company and was worried the end result would not be true to what I had set the export up to be....... The NTSC is pixel numbers and so wouldn't be the same problem (or worry) so I am more confident now.
    The part where you mentioned there is a difference about the files' (avi) ability to understand the stretched pixel is not the same as the number of pixels held in a frame (as is the difference between PAL and NTCS).

Thanks, much appreciated.

Stephenn

That is an excellent point, and does indeed make sense, thanks for thought.

My worry was that what I was saving was not what the premier project was actually producing on a file.
    I have to save a copy of my little video production as NTSC for a USA TV company and was worried the end result would not be true to what I had set the export up to be....... The NTSC is pixel numbers and so wouldn't be the same problem (or worry) so I am more confident now.
    The part where you mentioned there is a difference about the files' (avi) ability to understand the stretched pixel is not the same as the number of pixels held in a frame (as is the difference between PAL and NTCS).

Thanks, much appreciated.

Stephenn
    www.seethegame.info - revealing the game of underwater hockey (octopush) to a spectator, by removing the air/water surface interface.... as you do!

what software are you using to capture, edit and export?