Thread: Cant drag avi into timeline

Default Cant drag avi into timeline

Hi all

Im having trouble dragging my avi's into the timeline in vegas 6, after some extensive reading here I came to the conclusion it could have been due to the fact that the footage was rendered with xvid codecs. I decided to bite the bullet and rerender the footage using uncompressed frames. Now I was expecting to be able to just drag these into the timeline but Ive encountered the same problem, they will not drag and I get the circle with a line through it on my cursor. I did a bit of reading and watched a tut vid on this and it seemed like you just dragged them in. Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Hmm, youre right about those x vids, annyoing innit !

What you did should have worked, but personally I wouldnt have gone uncomressed cos of the space issue and also because editing them can be clunky, but they should have gone on the time line.... Dunno whay they didnt.

Give nyour source isnt that good (xvid), why not try re rendering to another codec, DV or high bit rate Divx, and see if that will go on the timeline.

A thought, did you rerender the audio too? What did you use to transcode the xvids?

I went uncompressed to be sure I could drag it in. I could re render in DV or high bit rate divx . I can re render everything thats not a drama, neither is space.Got plenty of that "Side thought" What do you mean by clunky?, Yep you guessed it Im kinda new to all this

My footage has no audio, Ill add some later, so there was no need to render the audio as well. The file Im working with is actually taken from a game. Recorded using BattleRecorder footage and rendered in Battle Launcher 1.1

Just to clarify though if I import the file (avi) into the media project area I should be able to just drag it into the timeline right? I might look for a small "test avi" in divx format and see if I can drag that into the timeline before rerendering all the other stuff. Not keen on rendering it for a third time to find out it doesnt work