Thread: Encoding settings help?

Default Encoding settings help?

Can anyone advise on the best encoding settings please?

I need to encode my edited footage down to around 15-20MB per min while retaining the best possible quality and 640x512 size or original size.

I've made a 1min clip to test diffent codecs out but I can't seem to find the correct settings I have also tried TMPGEnc.

Any help would be appreciated.

My edited footage is DV PAL 25fps @ 720x576 interlaced. The final Clip will be for the web.

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Well, it's always a toss up between file size and quality. The only person who can really answer your question is yourself from the playing you are doing.

For example, the last time I answered a similar question I said that I find the WMV9 512K (or 1Mb) download preset within Media encoder to be good enough for the odds and ends I tend to want to share but it seemed this was nowhere near good enough for the person asking. Simply a case of horses for course I think.

If it's just a case of making clips available for family and friends then you can get away with some fo the presets but if it's for commercial use then I can understand you wanting to do better maybe.

Cheers Alan,

I've had a play around with various settings on TMPGEnc and I can get my file down to around what I wanted, but comparing it to other clips i've downloaded (which have the same file size/min ratio) It seems to still be lower quality - The footage I have is grainier anyway but comparing both encodes mine appears subtely mozaic like if I look closely whereas the other is smooth. To match the quality I end up with a file size 3 times larger per min. Because I can see a clip of sufficient quatity at 10mb/min it is quite annoying not being able to achieve the same results.

Why not encode as a straight forward DV AVI from Premiere and then encode it using Windows Media Encoder 9. It's free, it's on Microsofts Website and it's less hassle choosing settings as it spells everything out for you.

I use it and compared to the quality you get from the Premier Encoder WMV presets it's far superior especially when you enlarge the video in Media Player, it tends not to tear as much.

You can also change the Copyright and file details without having to save presets all the time.

Uhrichsville Ohio

dont have time to search, could somebody kindly post a link!

Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

Windows media encoder 9

Thanks, I'll try that one at the weekend. I was already exporting from prem in dv avi and using TMPGEnc software as I read on the forum it was good, but this is worth a go too.

Cheers, the win encoder provided a much smoother end result from DVavi at a respectable file size.