Thread: Encore

Default Encore

Hi all,
    I'm new to video editing and really enjoying premier pro 1.5.
    My question relates to dvd building in encore (is this the right forum?)
    Anyway - is it better to export the premier project as a whole for importing to encore, or would it be better to export each sequence separately?
    Also - when encoding (exporting) from premier, which codec is better - avi or quicktime?
    Thanks

notm!lk

I'm assuming that if you are using Premiere Pro 1.5 then you have Encore version 1 or 1.5.

The thing to remember in these version of Encore is that a timeline in Encore can only be a single video clip. This changes in v2. So basically, it will depend on the design and flow of your DVD.

What you can do though in Encore is have one timeline play directly following another. This maybe noticable by the watcher though and is not recommended for individual chatpers of a movie.

As for exporting from premiere pro. Assuming it's for Encore then I wasn't aware Encore could handle .MOV files so you should export as either AVI or MPEG2 (with accompanying .WAV for sound) and use these in Encore. Which of these is better? Either really. I tend to export from premiere in MPEG2 when I can for two reasons. I have a plugin which allows me (on occasion) to export to MPEG2 much much quicker than AVI and also, AVI timeoines in Encore do not preview in widescreen properly - which doesn't make any real difference. It just bugs me a little. but having said all that, there is an obscure bug in the Adobe media encoder that effects me specifically (using high def) and the work around is to export as AVI rather than MPEG2 solately I'm tending to do the latter.

I don't know if this helps much. Let us know a little about the design of your DVD and maybe I/we can advise further.

I am using encore 1.5 yes.
    The film i made is of my daughter - her 1st three months.
    The film is about 20 minutes long in two sequences.
    The first sequence is a photo montage lasting about 2 minutes; the 2nd sequence is the video.
    I was wondering - if wanted to do buttons from the main menu in Encore to the montage and to the video do i have to export from premier as two separate files - or can i export as 1 (the photo montage sequence is nested into the video sequence) and sort out the rest in Encore?

Thanks for reading this - hope it makes sense!

Regards,
    notm!lk

You have two options as I see it, in Encore.

you can export the entire lot as one movire from PPro and then build a single timeline in Encore and have buttons to jump in a various chapter numbers and achiever your goal that way. the problem with this is that in Encore 1.5 you cannot jump out of a timeline at the end of a chapter so it will flow straight into your second clip.

Alternatively, and you best approach I think, is to export two seperate timelines from PPro. The build two timeloines in Encore and have a button plat each one. You can also create a third button as a play-all if you want. This way you get full control.

ok thanks for that i'll give it a go