Thread: bad flickering in low light-HELP

Default bad flickering in low light-HELP

hello all,

I dont do video proffessionally, just graphic design, someone asked me to do a promotional video and i agreed, now im forked.

I shot some video of an indoor go-cart track. The place was somewhat dim although there were massive halogen lights on the ceiling.
    The videos exposure didnt come out to bad but heres the problem:
    There is really uncomforable, almost strobe like but more subtle, flickering on the footage, it literally makes you sick after a while. Footage shot in a brigther area of the same place isnt bad.
    The carmer is a sony trv50. I have a mac with premiere 5, final cut pro, aftereffects and the lot. any suggestions would be great!

best
    -kvnmcwebn

Blog Entries

Yep, I bet it is strobing caused because your shutter speed is prob 1/50 and the lights are flickering at mains frequency 50hz. Manually set a different shutter speed and all should be well.

edit

Oh that wont help you knowew its shot will it ! Add some temproal blur, or motion blurr and the problem should be decreased. You may just have to find the lowest amount of motion blurr that wks. Cant think of another way.

edit

If you post a link to some of the footage I can have a go at fixing it if u like.

ill give the blur a go. ill get a before and after posted on the web tommorow for you to check out.

thanks a mill for that
    -best
    kvnmcwebn

hi mark,

i tried the blur and it helped a bit but not engough to chance showing the client Interestingly i found that speeding the clip up about 200% gets rid of the flickering of course then the go carts are travelling at the speed of light.....

just when i was about to give up i found that taking the movie down to 10-15fps with a bit of lossy compression totally gets rid of the problem. phew. the video is only for web and cd rom use anyway so im saved.

thanks again for you help
    -best
    -kevin

Blog Entries

I am gald. I was going to suggest finding the bright frames and dimming by hand, that would have been totally horrible but effective.

Do digital cameras and camcorders not switch to a higher shutter speed in low light conditions making objects strobe?