Thread: 144 MB for 1min50sec of DIVx movie, IS that normal?

Default 144 MB for 1min50sec of DIVx movie, IS that normal?

I capured a scene from my DV camera using Studio8 and coded it using Dix5 into an AVI file and it took 144Mb!!!

I have read that Divx supposed to be the ultimate compromise between compression and quality and that we could fit 2 hours on a 700MB CD. At this rate I will only be putting several miunutes.

Anyone knows what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks.

Guy

reduce the bitrate

Default reduce bitrate?

Now I am very confused I thought DIVx had to have a specific biterate to preserve a high quality.
    What shoudl the bitrate be for DivX movie?
    Also should I make an mpg rather than AVI?
    Thanks

the bitrate needed will depend on the video. some vids are easier to encode than others, so require less bits for a certain quality level.

the only thing i can suggest is trying several average bitrates, and choosing the one that's smallest while still looking acceptable to you. you might also want to try different resolutions.

as for your other question, mpg? like mpeg-1 or 2? if 2, dvd-standard or svcd? and to choose between mpeg-* and xvid/divx (mpeg-4) really depends on what you want to do with the final video, and how you want to play it back.

Default DIvX

Thanks for the info on the bitrate.

What I want to do with the video is put at least one hour on a CD the way it is explained on the site http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/autorun.html under "Guide to creating an auto run Micro DVD" and one of the components needed is an AVI file. The process talks about a 2 hour AVI file encoded with DIVX.

I tried with a short scenes and my file was very big so I was a litlle concerned about fitting 2 hours or even 1 hour on a CD.