Thread: IOV - worth it ?

Blog Entries

Default IOV - worth it ?

Just checked thier site and they look very professional. Are they worth joining? Is my ability near thier required standard for membership? Does it really give you cred as a film maker with clients?

http://www.iov.co.uk/index.pl?n=10

They do a show once a year ratehr like the Videoforum next week.

Not sure when it is exactly but get yourself along to that and judge for yourself.

Other than that, I have a colleague, who is a member so I'll ask him what he feels he gets out of it.

Blog Entries

Thanks Alan

Blog Entries

The IOV have a trade fair in the autumn, at Stonleigh, near Coventry. Where a lot of manufacturers and distributors attend. I've had dealings with them, through holding seminars etc. and found them sensible, serious and reliable. I'm not a member, mainly because I do 90% broadcast and the IOV isn't active in that field.
    They seem to be aimed at small businesses, wedding videographers, industrial stuff, and semi-pros. I think it's a case of using the IOV to raise your own standards, not a case of having to be "good enough" to get in.

I think that if you're going to start charging for video services, it doesn't do any harm to belong to a trade organisation like the IOV but it's not a short-cut to getting clients, more a chance to talk to others at your level, compare notes and learn from others.

Blog Entries

Mark, the IOV really does have a strong bias towards wedding and event videographers. The Guru hits the nail on the head by suggesting it's an opportunity to network rather than improve.

A similar organistion is http://www.apv.org.uk/

Blog Entries

Hmm, I think as my ambitions come to pass I need to be a member of a professional body, both to network and for support and training.

The IOV looks good, any others that you can suggest ? I dont really see myself as becoming an event / wedding videographer, more corperate / training.

Hi,

I hope this reply is OK Marc?

If you are a professional working in the video industry or a student looking to join a professional body then the APV worth looking at (I would say that I'm the director)

Whilst I won't name any other organisation directly, unlike other organisations in the sector, we do not encourage amateurs or enthusiasts to join the APV, so our ranks are not swelled by their presence. Though this might sound a bit harsh, we firmly believe this sets us apart and allows both the APV and it’s members to maintain our professional integrity and very high standards. The APV is non-profit making and exists to promote professionalism and skills development within the video industry. We uphold standards; promote high-quality of service and aim to make it easier for professional videomakers to operate their businesses or do their work properly, efficiently and effectively in today's ever-changing marketplace. We also have a ‘Student Membership’ programme to
    encourage those considering a career in the video industry to meet, network and interact with established professionals.

We strive to make the APV the kind of trade association that the members want; we will always listen and consider any worthwhile suggestions. Of course we can’t please all of the people all of the time (as the old saying goes), but members’ suggestions will never be disregarded out-of-hand; every member will have an opportunity to have their say. We endeavour to be the kind of organisation that really puts members first. The APV has always placed emphasis on providing support for its members, and this is the vein in which we want to continue and grow.

We are the fastest growing trade association, following a re-launch and re-brand mid 2005. Whilst we are currently the second-largest we are getting larger all the time. Though we don't yet have monthly meetings (something that will be coming very soon), we do have a long established history and are at least worth considering. We're also a lot cheaper.

Take a look at our website to see what we're all about... www.apv.org.uk

I believe we are also much more approachable and have less of a hierarchy than others.

HTH
    Regards,

Chrome
    Professional VBroadcast & Video Production www.megalith.tv
    Association of Professional Videomakers www.apv.org.uk

I just thought I would mention that we now have the capability to host our qualified members sample video clips within our 'Find a Videographer' search engine.

We are the only trade association that can offer this facility in the UK. It means that people looking to secure the services of a videographer can at last see examples of qualified APV members work.

Here's a link to a wedding montage clip from one member
    http://www.apv.org.uk/videographer_v...p?cid=57&cfn=2
    [/url]
    Regards,

Chrome
    Professional VBroadcast & Video Production www.megalith.tv
    Association of Professional Videomakers www.apv.org.uk

Blog Entries

Thanks, will check it out.