Thread: Overlaying a title

Default Overlaying a title

Hello,could anyone help. I'm trying to do a title in premier pro, where it sits behind whats happening. Eg a busy street with people walking along,I want to make a title but behind the people,not in front. Hope this makes sense. I have got prem pro and photoshop. Thanks.

You mean the way I did at 1min 13sec of www.alandmills.co.uk/Final_Hit.wmv ???? (sorry just coudn't resist the extra plug)

In the title sequence I walk across the screen in front of the overliad title. So I have some of the title in front of the background video and soem behind me.

Be warned it can take an age to do so best to keep it short and sweet as you will have to rotoscope it in Photoshop as follows:

Export the clip (as small as possible) as either a series of stills or as .flm file.

Open each still of the FLM file in Photoshop.

Now overlay your graphic (being very vareful to make sure it's position is exactly the same in each frame. Make sure this graphic is on a new layer in PS.

then simply mask off the relevant bit of the graphic/title by either painting with the eraser or by painting a mask.

I find the easiest way of doing this is the lower the opacity of the graphic to a bit less than 50% soyou can see the video frame through it. Then you canmake sure you only remove what you need to.

Aftre you're done raise the opacity back up again.

Save regularly as PSD files and only convert back to individual stills or a .flm at the end.

Simply re-import into Premiere and add to the timeline.

it's easy enough, but doing it frame by frame, just takes ages.

Thanks alot,i'm gonna try it soon as possible.

Hello,
    having a bit of trouble trying to compress my clips into a flm file. Any tips. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by division
    Hello,
    having a bit of trouble trying to compress my clips into a flm file. Any tips. Thanks.
    File -> Export -> Movie...

When the dialogue pops up click 'settings' and open the 'file type' pull down. Filmstrip is in that list.

But do play with the other still image options like tiff though. the difference is that a flm file is one large image containing all frames and this gets very large. If you choose tiff, you get many individual frames which canbe easier to work with.