Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MicroMV / mmv woes

Default MicroMV / mmv woes

Hi chaps,

I'm re-posting this as a new topis as a pose to a answer in the bottom of Converting MicroMV to DV - it seems to be rather an old thread...

I am having some problems with this mmv format and have tried a bunch of things after surfing around on the web....

Basically I want to capture the best quality and convert format in order to edit in Studio 9.

Here's what I've tried so far...

Capturing the mmv files with Movieshaker
    - Okay but some loss of quality, some blockiness in the middle of clips, occasional green blocking...

Capturing with Pinnacle Studio 9
    - Non starter, although Studio 9 "supports" the micromv format, I cannot get more than the first one or two clips imported.

Capturing with GraphEdit (directly into mpeg2-PS)
    - This worked but with loss of audio synch....I believe the audio can be resynched usimg the end of the clip but now getting far too tedious...

Capturing with GraphEdit (directly to avi)
    - When I finally figured this one out I thought this was the way to go, but alas not to be. I finally managed to get good capture & audio/video synch but the video quality was abyssmal.

Converting the mmv footage to mpeg with mmv2mpg
    - mmv2mpg seems to work okay in that I can play the mpg files ok in windows mp but when I try to import the files into Studio 9 the audio sporradically dissappears & reappears with no apparent pattern...

Converting the mmv footage to avi with Movieshaker
    - This worked a treat, albeit extremely slooooowly. But movieshaker only allows export of 9 mins at a time - outrageous....at the speed it does the conversion you have to keep an eye on the machine and the pc's pretty much useless for anything else...

Converting the mmv footage to avi with GraphEdit
    - Pretty much as trying to capture - abysmal video quality

To wrap up, I do not want to edit in Movieshaker - it's horrible.
    I really want to use Studio 9, I think this is a great product as long as you use avi not mpeg (it does work but is horribly sluggish wit big files).

I am now on the hunt for something to batch convert mmv files to avi...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong in GraphEdit so if anyone has had sucess please let me know...(I used Moonlight Elecard to rip & DivX 5.0.5 to encode...???)

Anyone got any other ideas before I jump up and down on what really is a gorgeous little camera (IP1E)

Cheers

PS:f anyone from Sony is reading this: please get a grip. It's about time you released a neat little software package to match your neat little cameras.
    Just a nice wee program to capture (with error correction) and convert to DV.....in one go not in little 9min clips!!!!

According to this review
    http://www.unleash.com/kurt/screenbl...ting/index.asp
    Screenblast Movie Studio 3 should work fine with Micro-MV. The article says : '"For Sony Camcorder owners whose format is the proprietary MicroMV format, Movie Studio fully supports this format. In the arena of lower priced video editing software, it is important to locate this feature. It is not a format commonly supported by many applications."

Hope this helps
    Have a nice day
    Roy

Cheers Roy but I dont really want to use any software that's going to be using the mpeg format for editing. I want to edit in avi and I already have Pinnacle Studio 9. They are currently working on a solution to the mmv capture problem in 9 so I'll bide my time until they release a patch.
    Then I'll capture & convert to avi using 9.
    Until then, I still have not found an elegant solution. There are many ways to conert mmv to mpeg to avi but all involve a lot of unnecessary faffing around...
    So It'll be slow bit by bit avi export in Shaker... :cry:

Blog Entries

Okay, here's what I did:

1) capture in video studio 7
    2) converted captured MPEG to DV-AVI in FlaskMPEG
    3) edited DV-AVI

Not perfect, but good quality. I also tried using firewire to connect the MicroMV cam to my DV cam - didn't work. Next time i'm gonna hook the cam up to my DV cam using s-video, then convert to DV-AVI, using the cam as a analogue to digital converter.

So much for new technology. Phah.

Hi Farlig,

Well, while you wait for a suitable patch for your Studio 9, download a free trial of Screenblast. It does edit in AVI mode, frame by frame even if you need to. Trial is fully functional, but only for 30 days.

Until your patch comes out, might make life a bit easier
    Have a nice day
    Roy

Thanks Guys!

Marc, do let us know how you get on with the S-Video transfer option. I don't actually have a DV-cam just now, but "I know a man that does"

Roy, I'll do that & give it a whirl!

Cheers!

Finally got round to installing the Screenblast trial ware & cannot get it to recognise the camera...

I keep geting the mesage: -

"microsoft av/c tape subunit device could not be opened"

Yet when I start Studio 9 - no probs...

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Sorry to hear there's a problem with it.

Look in Options, Preferences, General, and mark/unmark the second last item "Always use Sony DV reader" and restart program.
    If that doesn't help, read the Readme about Video Capture (in the Screenblast menu in your Programs) and try the “Enable DV device control” they talk about...

Repeat your question at :
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...asp?ForumID=12
    Usually, a Sony Tech will look into it and try to resolve your problem.

In the mean time, you can always use DVGate Motion and capture from your camera and then import the AVI file into Movie Studio ?

Hope this helps
    Have a nice day
    Roy

Thanks Roy,

I think this is just another problem with the MicroMV format...
    I tried your suggestion & I also checked out the forums you suggested & found this thread dealing with the same issue: -

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ssageID=255332

There does not seem to be much help available on this one..
    According to "JonnyRoy" in this thread: Sony are dropping support for the MicroMV format - this I need to find out about
    If anyone else has heard about this please let me know!!! :(

I've also just installed the latest Pinnacle Studio 9.0.8 update - still no success with capturing all the footage from the tape. It still stops capturing after one or two scenes. :cry:

I would actually like to get rid of this camera and get a MiniDV instead - that would kill the problem

Moral dilemma: -
    "Unfortuneately" this MicroMV was a gift for Xmas....

Cheers anyway!

Check this out :cry:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...=241966&Page=0

Time ti check out the going rate on ebay...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast