I'm re-posting this as a new topis as a pose to a answer in the bottom of Converting MicroMV to DV - it seems to be rather an old thread...
I am having some problems with this mmv format and have tried a bunch of things after surfing around on the web....
Basically I want to capture the best quality and convert format in order to edit in Studio 9.
Here's what I've tried so far...
Capturing the mmv files with Movieshaker
- Okay but some loss of quality, some blockiness in the middle of clips, occasional green blocking...
Capturing with Pinnacle Studio 9
- Non starter, although Studio 9 "supports" the micromv format, I cannot get more than the first one or two clips imported.
Capturing with GraphEdit (directly into mpeg2-PS)
- This worked but with loss of audio synch....I believe the audio can be resynched usimg the end of the clip but now getting far too tedious...
Capturing with GraphEdit (directly to avi)
- When I finally figured this one out I thought this was the way to go, but alas not to be. I finally managed to get good capture & audio/video synch but the video quality was abyssmal.
Converting the mmv footage to mpeg with mmv2mpg
- mmv2mpg seems to work okay in that I can play the mpg files ok in windows mp but when I try to import the files into Studio 9 the audio sporradically dissappears & reappears with no apparent pattern...
Converting the mmv footage to avi with Movieshaker
- This worked a treat, albeit extremely slooooowly. But movieshaker only allows export of 9 mins at a time - outrageous....at the speed it does the conversion you have to keep an eye on the machine and the pc's pretty much useless for anything else...
Converting the mmv footage to avi with GraphEdit
- Pretty much as trying to capture - abysmal video quality
To wrap up, I do not want to edit in Movieshaker - it's horrible.
I really want to use Studio 9, I think this is a great product as long as you use avi not mpeg (it does work but is horribly sluggish wit big files).
I am now on the hunt for something to batch convert mmv files to avi...
Maybe I'm doing something wrong in GraphEdit so if anyone has had sucess please let me know...(I used Moonlight Elecard to rip & DivX 5.0.5 to encode...???)
Anyone got any other ideas before I jump up and down on what really is a gorgeous little camera (IP1E)
PS:f anyone from Sony is reading this: please get a grip. It's about time you released a neat little software package to match your neat little cameras.
Just a nice wee program to capture (with error correction) and convert to DV.....in one go not in little 9min clips!!!!