Thread: Windows 2000, Firewire, and Audio Problems

Default Windows 2000, Firewire, and Audio Problems

For web publishing, a must have with any camcorder are a firewire and Windows XP (if you are using a Windows system). Windows 2000 has firewire support but does not have Windows Movie Maker. I was pulling my hair out trying to capture the video from my tape to my PC until I switched and used a Windows XP system.

Also, make sure you disable the previewing function before you start capturing the video from your tape to your PC. Otherwise the audio will become badly garbled. I guess if you plan to do audio dubbing and editing then it's not an issue, but if you plan to use the audio you have on your tape then disabling the previewing function on Movie Maker and other capturing tools is a must.

Now I have a video published on www.SOLDorNOT.com and everything is cool. I hope this post help first-timers avoid the pitfalls I came across.

For putting video onto the web, you can get away with using USB. It's two functions are taking still images off a digi cam and streaming video onto the web. That also includes using the camera as a live feed web cam.
    Depending on the spec of your computer you may have to switch preview off in order to prevent dropped frames. Any desktop PC or Mac with 512mb ram, 3.0 Ghz cpu, 7200 rpm hd (second disk advisable), 800Mhz Front Side Bus, 128Mb graphics and obviously Firewire port will do the job. Personally I wouldn't use a laptop as it simply hasn't got the 'muscle' to push video and audio around.