Thread: dvd camcorder

Default dvd camcorder

i have a sony dcr-dvd92e camcorder and need to get the footage from it onto my laptop so i can edit it using my software. i have used dvd+RW discs but i cant open them for editing, just for playback. Is there a cable I need?Please help

Rachael

Blog Entries

Can you open the discs from explorer and see any files? I have no first hand expirience but I would have thought there would be some big files there, maybe .vob that can be imported to an editor, copy to hd first.

If the files have a werid file extension, just try changing it to .mpg as that is probably what the files are regardless. This may make them 'importable'.

thanks a lot for your help i changed it to an .mpg like you said and its now working.
    u really helped me out there
    cheers

Blog Entries

My pleasure, this board totally rules for sorting those little probs that drive you mad. A few days ago I got the fix for something I had been working around for over a year. Hope you hang around and post some of the results of you work in 'user vids'.

just one more question, Ive got the files into my editing software, but when I try to play them back in the programme it wont play. Is there another type of file I should have also imported? What should I do?

Change the file extension from .vob to .avi as most video editors won't allow you to either import or edit .mpeg files. Also .mpeg files are for export back to DVD when you are finished editing. So the production line is .vob -> .avi (edit) -> and then export onto DVD using .mpeg. Using .avi during the edit stage also keeps the quality up whereas .mpeg compresses the video and audio more in order to squeeze it onto a disk.

Blog Entries

Ah, well i was close (ish)