Thread: batch conversion to H.264 or WMV: where to begin?

Default batch conversion to H.264 or WMV: where to begin?

I'd love to find a basic converter with the following features:

capable of handling all the major filetypes (avi, mpeg-1, 2, wmv, quicktime...)
    batch conversion
    (basic timeline editing)
    still frame capturing and saving as JPEG
    H.264, quicktime or WMV output.

Basically, that's all I need. I have a big task of converting a couple of hundreds of videos (in all different formats and codecs) into a web-format (including thumbnails) and Windows Movie Maker is just too buggy for me. I've tried Quicktime Pro, but exporting one by one takes far too much time, and I can only export the still frames in the PCT or BMP format.

Blog Entries

Virtual dub is the tool you need I think. Google it, it is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Virtual dub is the tool you need I think. Google it, it is free.
    Sorry mate but I don't see an option to export to H.264 or any Quicktime format. Thanks anyway.

Blog Entries

Oh, sorry aobut that. Does it have to be q time, wmv is a very popular and probably better compression algorithm.

Oh, sorry aobut that. Does it have to be q time, wmv is a very popular and probably better compression algorithm.
    Well I've compared H.264 and WMV and to me it seems that H.264 is largely superior to WMV when it comes to saturation, general quality of the image AND filesize. If I don't find a good program that does the trick, I may have to go back to WMV.

Blog Entries

Horses for courses I guess, I did comparisons across all major compression formats some time ago and felt that at 250kbs to 1mbit that wmv had the edge. For me divx was a very close second (sharper but more artifacts)with q time and real a bit behind (crunchy with keyframe choppiness) . Real was best at very low bit rates.

You might considor wmv as anyone can play em full screen, mac insist on ripping you off if you want full screen so maybe many cant ?

Horses for courses I guess, I did comparisons across all major compression formats some time ago and felt that at 250kbs to 1mbit that wmv had the edge. For me divx was a very close second (sharper but more artifacts)with q time and real a bit behind (crunchy with keyframe choppiness) . Real was best at very low bit rates.

You might considor wmv as anyone can play em full screen, mac insist on ripping you off if you want full screen so maybe many cant ?
    I am considering it at the moment. The question stays the same : could you recommend me a good program?

Blog Entries

Windows media encoder can batch process I think, never done it myself. Encoder is free from the m soft site. (well it was last time i looked)