Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: batch conversion to H.264 or WMV: where to begin?

  1. #1

    Default batch conversion to H.264 or WMV: where to begin?

    I'd love to find a basic converter with the following features:

    capable of handling all the major filetypes (avi, mpeg-1, 2, wmv, quicktime...)
    batch conversion
    (basic timeline editing)
    still frame capturing and saving as JPEG
    H.264, quicktime or WMV output.

    Basically, that's all I need. I have a big task of converting a couple of hundreds of videos (in all different formats and codecs) into a web-format (including thumbnails) and Windows Movie Maker is just too buggy for me. I've tried Quicktime Pro, but exporting one by one takes far too much time, and I can only export the still frames in the PCT or BMP format.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Virtual dub is the tool you need I think. Google it, it is free.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Virtual dub is the tool you need I think. Google it, it is free.
    Sorry mate but I don't see an option to export to H.264 or any Quicktime format. Thanks anyway.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Oh, sorry aobut that. Does it have to be q time, wmv is a very popular and probably better compression algorithm.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Oh, sorry aobut that. Does it have to be q time, wmv is a very popular and probably better compression algorithm.
    Well I've compared H.264 and WMV and to me it seems that H.264 is largely superior to WMV when it comes to saturation, general quality of the image AND filesize. If I don't find a good program that does the trick, I may have to go back to WMV.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Horses for courses I guess, I did comparisons across all major compression formats some time ago and felt that at 250kbs to 1mbit that wmv had the edge. For me divx was a very close second (sharper but more artifacts)with q time and real a bit behind (crunchy with keyframe choppiness) . Real was best at very low bit rates.

    You might considor wmv as anyone can play em full screen, mac insist on ripping you off if you want full screen so maybe many cant ?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Horses for courses I guess, I did comparisons across all major compression formats some time ago and felt that at 250kbs to 1mbit that wmv had the edge. For me divx was a very close second (sharper but more artifacts)with q time and real a bit behind (crunchy with keyframe choppiness) . Real was best at very low bit rates.

    You might considor wmv as anyone can play em full screen, mac insist on ripping you off if you want full screen so maybe many cant ?
    I am considering it at the moment. The question stays the same : could you recommend me a good program?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Windows media encoder can batch process I think, never done it myself. Encoder is free from the m soft site. (well it was last time i looked)

Similar Threads

  1. Batch Capture from WMV to JPG
    By GunnCat in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
  2. Where does a Vegas Newbie begin ?
    By Karma9800 in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 03:52 AM
  3. batch compress *.DV files Help Plz !!!
    By matt9b in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 12:34 AM
  4. Batch Encoding
    By peterauld in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
  5. Batch processing
    By Mike Thorpe in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 11:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •