Thread: Video card/tv tuner question

Default Video card/tv tuner question

i'm very close to buying the last part or two for my mega pc (primarily going to be my editing rig but i plan on playing a game or two on it plus i want to use it as a tv when i'm surfing the net on my everyday-use PC) and i want a video card that will allow me to play the latest games PLUS allow me to watch tv on it. it needs to be PCI Express. what is out there that is a great all in one card. i heard ATI has a "All in wonder" card, but it's AGP type slot and my mobo doesn't support that (maybe because it's a soon to be outdated slot?).

what's out there? i'm so close to having all my parts and i'm kinda stumped on the video card. i understand that for video editing purposes i don't need a high end card (i think i'm fine with a GeoGorce 6200-esque type card, maybe something similar to the 6800 depending on price).

or, should i just purchase the tv tuner card/video card separately?

you can go here to see the PC parts i've purchased thus far.

In all actuality you want to go with, well lets say an ATI x1800xt (i have one) and then get a tv tuner seperately, thats what i have in my video rig. And my reasoning for this would be as follows: having a video card/tv tuner on the same pciexpress board puts more strain on A)the pci-e slot, b)puts more stress on the card itself, and c) it crushes performance on both devices!!

So just get them seperate!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

ok, i can see that logic. that having been said, what is a good combo to get. i don't know much about what the good tv tuners are. thanks for the tip.