Thread: Getting serious with AV editing

Default Getting serious with AV editing

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to the game so feel free to hammer me if I say something stupid

In the past I've been cutting and joining various segments of videos I find on online and adding music here and there. Just got a new system (YAAAAA), I wanna get serious and really start editing my vids and giving it that professional look. Can you suggest any editing programs/software that could take my movies to the next level? I heard AVID is good but are there any for beginners like myself?

Also what sort of terminologies, characteristics, formats, etc. about DV do I need to learn to maximize the effectiveness of my vids? So many sites out there that I don't know were to start. Can you guys suggest any good links?

Thanks a few and thanks a lot!!

Hi, Mike, welcome to the forums!
    Let me suggest these links:
    http://pblmm.k12.ca.us/TechHelp/Vide...ideoGuide.html
    and
    http://www.camcorders.org/
    If you're interested in Avid, they have a freeware (limited) edition called FreeDV, which you can read about and download at www.avid.com/freedv/
    Good luck!

Thanks for the links Mihai, they were very helpful!!

I'm currently focusing on the editing aspect of my videos such as video display formats, video scaling, colour space formats, etc. Google just throws a lot at you and I just don't know where to start. Hopefully you guys can point me down an easier path.

THXs!!

Hi mike

I think you must be the first person to bring up those technical terms as far as video is concerned. I would just concentrate on making interesting videos that people want to watch. A good story, good camera work (steady shots, in focus, correct white balance etc) and good editing are far more important than spending too much time thinking about things such as video display formats, video scaling, colour space formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony
    Hi mike

I think you must be the first person to bring up those technical terms as far as video is concerned. I would just concentrate on making interesting videos that people want to watch. A good story, good camera work (steady shots, in focus, correct white balance etc) and good editing are far more important than spending too much time thinking about things such as video display formats, video scaling, colour space formats.
    I know what you mean when you say focus on good story, good camera work and good editing cause these are essential to producing a good final product. But I wanna go beyond that and take my vids to the next level. I want that professional feel, u know what I mean? If it can be better than it should be better. Sorry I sound like a perfectionist but when you love what you do you gotta try your best and exercise all possible options.