Thread: Radio mikes, value v performance.

Blog Entries

Default Radio mikes, value v performance.

I want a set of on camera protable radio gear. Preferably with xlrs for mic in. My question is how low can you go befor they are rubbish. Any people would particularly reccomend?

Blog Entries

I've heard that the Sennheiser EW100 ENG kits are excellent value for money.

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/21418

A new set from LTF costs about 670 quid. I know that some of the owner/operator teams use them and my regular soundie has a kit which he bought as a back-up, all of which sounds promissing,

I have no experience of them myself, since at work we tend to use the old (mega-f..ing-expensive) Sennheiser 5000 system which is luverly but is way out of my private bracket.
    If you manage to use the EW100 in the field, let me know what it's like!

Blog Entries

Ta, hoping for some spare cash next month. I was hoping to spend a tad less, will check em put and look for s/h deals.

Blog Entries

Looks nice. I presume the plug on transmitter will plug directly into the back of my shotgun mic, if so that is very cool. I think I feel a purchase approaching....

Blog Entries

I know, I really, really, really want to buy a EW100 ENG kit, but just can't justify it.
    A good company for sound stuff is LTF near Uxbridge, Middlesex.

www.ltf-uk.com

And they sometimes have excellent second-hand stock. I keep meaning to get an SQN from them, but that's also a "want-to-have" rather than a "need-to-have".

I've got a couple of excellent microphones and all the gubbins for one end of the sound chain, at the other end I can blag cameras, but I've got these voices in my head... It's a sound mixer, wireless kit and a hard-drive recorder shouting at me to buy them...

Blog Entries

Thanks for that, what is an SQN?

Blog Entries

A bullet-proof sound mixer. Made in England, built like a tank and relatively easy to use. It also has (in my humble opinion) a nice "sound", Whenever you see a news/documentary team you'll see a soundie with a fishpole in one hand, fiddling with a box on his chest, chances are that's an SQN.

http://www.ltf-uk.com/html/sqn-2s_mixer.html

There are cheaper mixers but in my dreams I'm kitted out with the best, Sennheiser mic in one hand, SQN on my chest, Beyerdynamic headphones on my head, Michelle Pfeifer on my lap and a Balvenie Scotch in the other hand.

Thinking about it: Michelle Pfeifer and the beyerdynamics sometimes change places, but that's another story.

http://www.ltf-uk.com/html/sqn-5s_mixer.html

Blog Entries

Nice mixer. I love nice 'pro' gear, it is just sooo sexy.... hmmm, am i sharing too much again...?

Blog Entries

That's more than I want to know....

Anyway, I've decided to bite the bullet and have ordered a Sennheiser 112-G2 kit, costing just over 400 squids plut the dreaded vat, I'll have a play with it and let you know what it's like.