Thread: green screen

Default green screen

we are doing a news kinda set up so i wanted to do a green screen well i recorded the footage and now trying to edit but its not coming out right in premiere i need some help to do this

i got the graphic to put in the background i do i make it look like the graphic is behind us

well, first import the clip and the background footage or clip into premiere, then put the clip on lets say track 2 on the timline, and put ur background footage on track 1, now, go to the video effects folder, and then go to the keying folder, in their, there is a key called green screen, or something like that, apply that key to your clip. if the green screen doesn't look that good, ex: u can still see the green screen a little visible, or the person in video starts to get invisible type, then go to the filter properties and adjust the green screen key. there is also another key in the keying folder whcih removes anycolor u want from the screen, so u can put it to remove only green color, i can't remember the name of that key, find it it premiere, experiment with it. i hope that helps!

there are also some other factors. Your lighting setup when shooting against green screen is important. heavy shadows on the green wall behind the subject can mess it up. make sure the lighting is even, and try to eliminate the shadows on the green wall. also if the subject is too close to the green backdrop the subject will pick up the green color.

Also i cant remember why, but I remember that shooting on Beta gives a better result. something about how the color is done on a Beta Camera. Ive shot green on this type of camera with excellent results, and in the same studio shot on DV with not to great results.

here some tips:

wht u mean u shot video on beta camera? i don't knwo wht that is.

Blog Entries

Hi there, this topic has come up before, so if you don't mind I'll re-post a few tips which may help...

It's harder to correct mistakes than to avoid making them, so starting off on the right foot helps... your background (green or blue screen) should be evenly lit and coloured since what you're going to tell your computer to do is... "take all the pixels with this particular green value and replace it with something else."
    If the greenscreen has different values then your computer will ignore the bits which are the "wrong" green and you don't get a clean key. You can tell your computer not to be so fussy and to accept a large range of greens but then you run the risk that it removes bits of the subject (actor, presenter, whatever) which you wanted to keep.

A few trade secrets here: The biggest problem is "fringing" or getting a fuzzy line between the subject and the green, this is nearly always caused by light being reflected from the background onto the subject. You'll often hear recommendations to use red,orange or other coloured backlights to cure this, all rubbish, adding light won't always cure the problem, you've got to stop green( or blue, depending on what you're keying out) falling on your subject. Most of the time just moving your subject away from the background cures the problem.

Another urban myth is that, if anything, the background has to be too bright. Wrong. An over-bright background is harder to key than a slightly underlit one since the colours tend to desaturate by overexposure, making it harder for the computer to "find" the right green.

If you're greenscreening then (and may I smack my own bottom for admitting this) cheap fluorescent tubes are a good way to create soft, even lighting on a budget, providing you're not going to muck about with shutter speeds or suchlike.

A quick and dirty way to check that your background is evenly lit is to use the zebra or overexposure warning on your camcorder. Just point the camcorder at the screen and start to manually open the aperture, the "zebras" will appear in any hotspots. Keep opening the aperture and the last areas to "go zebra" will be the cool spots. If this talk about "zebras" makes no sense to you, don't worry, just looking at the screen with half-closed eyes can give you a clue as to which bits are "hot" and which need a bit more oomph.

Western Europe

I think the reason why Beta gave better results than DV is that Beta is analogue video and doesn't compress video and leave 'artifacts' like a jpeg behind.