Thread: 24fps and Premiere Pro 1.5

Default 24fps and Premiere Pro 1.5

I'm shooting a project that I'm going to edit in Premiere Pro 1.5, and the camera I'm using (Canon GL-2) has a setting called "Frame Movie Mode" in which the camera shoots at the same speed as a film camera as opposed to video, giving it that shot-on-film look. When editing in Premiere Pro 1.5, I noticed that there is a setting called "Panasonic 24p". I figured that since I was shooting at 24 fps, it would be best to edit using this setting, despite not having a Panasonic camera (would that even matter?). However, I have been told a few times that editing in this setting is choppier and it is better to use regular settings when editing,a dn that even if I edit not in the 24p mode, my 24 fps footage will still keep that nice film look.

So which is better for my situation? Should I edit in this new 24p mode, or just stick to the other setting?

What I find is best is to record in the normal 25p and edit in that mode. Then in the final render do it at 24p.

Sometimes this isn't possible though especially if you're rendering to an AVI so you could use the (editied this as it said Posterize video effect and it should be) Echo video effect (Doh!) and set it to 24p.

Anyone else any thoughts?

Blog Entries

As you make mention of a GL2, I'm assuming you're from North America and 25p wouldn't be relevant to you.

I wasn't aware that the GL2 shot at a frame rate of 25fps, and I certainly don't think it shoots in progressive. The adobe preset would not be suited to your camera.

Alright, thank you. Yeah, I'm in NA (Canada to be precise) using an NTSC camera, and it shoots like regular video, or at the same speed as film. But thanks, I'll just try it in regular mode, and have a look at the finished product to see if it is what I'm looking for.

Blog Entries

I was wrong. The GL2 "movie mode" is 30fps with "progressive" scan.

Frame Movie Mode
    Unlike Normal Movie Mode, where video is captured using interlaced frames, in Frame Movie Mode video is captured by the GL2 in a non-interlaced form at the rate of 30 frames per second. This delivers spectacular clarity -- perfect for those who need to grab high-quality images from videos for making prints, adding website content, or sending images over the Internet. This non-interlaced method was popularized by Canon's XL1S and has been acknowledged by users for its cinematic-like appearance.

The Canon GL2 doesn't acutally shoot true 24p. It simulates 24p to create a film look but still shoots at 30fps. The Panasonic DVX100 is the only MiniDV camera in its price range which actually shoots true 24p! If you havent already I highly recommend checking it out and even picking one up (just got mine last week).