Thread: New Business.

Default New Business.

Hello All

just joined this helpful looking forum.

Wee bit about what we are trying to do, well myself and my friend are starting our own business, PMS. The 3 main things we are looking at filming would be concerts, corporate events and weddings. We are about 90% way through our business plan and everything that goes with it. My friend is mainly the director/vision mixer and editor, where I am the cameraman and editor as well. I've spent 3 years at college learning to do what I've wanted to be my job since I was about 6 so I'm glad that I'm getting there slowly but surely. I have been reading through some of the other posts, one specifically on weddings and was very pleased to read that the advice given was more or less the same as what my partner and myself hammered out so good to see we are going in the right direction!

we have already filmed a couple of weddings, 2 fairly big concerts so were getting some experience and our name known but so far its been with hired equipment.

Anyway we are planning on getting a XL2 for the moment. Another later on because its always easier to use 2 cameras for editing we think and have an agreement to use students from our old collage to assist with any filming that needs more than me (cheap labor!) vinten 5 pod, shotgun, I found a nice 3 piece red head kit. Couple of sonymics so on and so forth.

I was wondering if anyone knows of good sites to buy our kit from. I've done a fair bit of googleing but short of creativevideo.co.uk I cant really find any websites that sell first hand equipment.

Thanks for any hints and tips you guys can offer

Regards

Gary S.

Congratulations on setting up your new business and I hope it works well with you and your partner. Have you tried some of the other search engines or video editing magazines that are on sale. Have you set up a website with some example clips of the work you've done so potential customers can see them? For those with slower connections how about some video snapshots say at 320 by 240 so that audience will be catered for. If you can rustle up any 'names' of other companies or events you've done work for them list them. I'm sure you have business cards printed at this stage and attend events like wedding fairs and business seminars and start pressing the flesh.

Congratulations on setting up your new business and I hope it works well with you and your partner. Have you tried some of the other search engines or video editing magazines that are on sale. Have you set up a website with some example clips of the work you've done so potential customers can see them? For those with slower connections how about some video snapshots say at 320 by 240 so that audience will be catered for. If you can rustle up any 'names' of other companies or events you've done work for them list them. I'm sure you have business cards printed at this stage and attend events like wedding fairs and business seminars and start pressing the flesh.

I'm curious about your choice of camera. I'm not knocking the XL2, just curious about why you chose to ignore HDV?

Also, I think you would be wise, in your situation, to attend the videoforum next week at Earl's court. Check out www.videoforum.co.uk and register yourselves. I guarantee you will be able to answer ALL of your questions there and learn a great deal from the freebie seminars as well.

The similarity in url to this site is a curious happenstance. The two are not directly related.

Other than that, I've bought from creative video and they've been fine. As were H.Prestons.