Thread: regular backups: which app are you using for that?

Default regular backups: which app are you using for that?

I don't know if it's geeky to want to be doing regular backups but I got more and more stuff on my drives that I really don't want to lose to some hardware failure or whatever

does anybody have any insight into what backup solutions are out there and which ones are the best? it would be great if someone could just what they're using themselves and whether it works nicely and all

thanks in advance!

If you don't Backup you will surely regret it.....one day..... :cry:

You don't say what hardware you have but the easy solution is to buy a large capacity removable USB2 / Firewire drive and use something like Norton Ghost to do scheduled incremental backups every couple of days. Obviously don't store the removable drive near your PC in case the whole lot goes up in flames

When your hard drive expires on you :( you get a new one, boot from the Ghost CD and recover everything from your backup disk. Easy Peasy

My paranoid mate has 2 removable drives and once a week or so he leaves one at my house and takes the other away to back up onto in case his whole house burns down, a plane crashes onto it, has a power surge, etc. etc.

Hope this helps
    Athlon XP2000, 750 mb, 2nd hard drive on order (200gb), Pinnacle DV500 DVD, Adobe Premier 6.5 and lots of other sofware that came with the Pinnacle board.

Panasonic NV-GS400

I'm definitely with Roadster on this one, as what he talks about is pretty much what I've got. Ghost does a backup every night to an external 250GB USB drive - and me being acutely paranoid (although not to the extent of physically removing either drive from the vicinity of the PC), I do a manual backup of the primary external drive to the other external drive every week or so. And, like Roadster says, Ghost does much more than just back up (which is why it's more expensive than a system that just does back up): you can restore your complete drive image using it, meaning that if you do get a serious error that means you'd have otherwise lost everything, you can go back to where you were - you don't have to reinstall the OS and all your apps and then reset all your settings etc. Highly recommended.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

Hmm, I have all my finished films on 2 seperate drives. When I have a bit of spare cash there will be a third kept in a fire proof box in another location. Most of my films are also kept in compressed form on my web server.

Extra drives are the cheapest form of back up I reckon.

You should try Ghost…I always found the name funny but it works great ..I backup my important stuff onto dvd regularly and haven't lost any important data for a loooong time now.

Cheers Ghost sounds pretty good to me. Just read about a program called Save & Restore, too, when I checked the symantec site for ghost. What's the difference to Ghost? They sound really similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mulder
    Cheers Ghost sounds pretty good to me. Just read about a program called Save & Restore, too, when I checked the symantec site for ghost. What's the difference to Ghost? They sound really similar.
    They are really similar. S&R can do everything Ghost can, and then some.

Basicially, it lets you do backups of preselected files and folders on top of backups from your entire system or individual harddisk. So for the extra paranoid folk that need or want regular backups of their data files, it's a great way to save diskspace: You don't have to packup your applications or OS every single time anymore. And even if you have your data on a separate disk or partition (as you should) you can still decide to backup only the super important stuff e.g. every time you shut down the computer and do a full backup once a week or something.