Thread: Is it worth going to Avid

Default Is it worth going to Avid

Well, the subject probably sums this whole post up for me, but just in case - i'm looking at going for a new rig (see signature), but with it comes the software choise issue

Back at college i used Avid Express - and loved every minute of it. was amazingly straight forward yet powerful. Of course, getting it for myself (at least the Pro version) will lighten my pocket by over a grand...

Does anyone know how express DV compares with express pro? and can you burn/author DVDs with DV?

on the other hand how would people rate Premier etc against Avid?

i'll be using the rig to edit short films made for local artists (www.screenweasel.com)

thanks in advance
    Dual G5 2.0GHz PowerPC with 2.5GB RAM, 460GB Hard Drive and 2 19" Apple Studio Display CRTs. Let down by a slow drive (Pioneer 108 single layer) and small camera (Panasonic NV GS200)

Running FCP and Toast - its all quite peachy

Default Re: Is it worth going to Avid

Quote Originally Posted by slipperyid
    Does anyone know how express DV compares with express pro? and can you burn/author DVDs with DV?
    http://www.avid.com/products/xpressFamily/index.asp
    http://www.avid.com/products/nleFamily.asp?dm=NLESP
    Quote Originally Posted by slipperyid
    on the other hand how would people rate Premier etc against Avid?
    Premiere is prosumer, Avid is professional.

thanks for that... i guess from those links that DV doesnt do DVD authoring... in that case, is it possible/easy to burn dvds once your done editing?
    Dual G5 2.0GHz PowerPC with 2.5GB RAM, 460GB Hard Drive and 2 19" Apple Studio Display CRTs. Let down by a slow drive (Pioneer 108 single layer) and small camera (Panasonic NV GS200)

whoops, ignore that! just read http://www.avid.com/products/xpressdv/index.asp!!! my bad

thanks for the links tho - will make sure i read properly next time [/url]

OK. I'm just grasping AVID on my own too right now so we're in the same boat. I'm using the trial version of Xpress to see what's it made of. And yes, it is driving me nuts.

i have to say - Avid to me is the holy grail. i loved it back in college (well, she was my first...)

now its things like pinnacle, and even the slightly unofficial version of premier that a friend got me that drive me nuts... just cant get the hang of them... oh well!

Avid automatically brings professional credibility as it is for the most part the industry standard!!!