Thread: Capture Card confusion

Default Capture Card confusion

Hi all. my first post. yeahhhhhh!!!!! sorry to hassle but I have read through this site and others on the web. There just seems to be so much info its mind blowing. I am confused as to which capture card I should invest in. Although money isn't a major problem I would prefere to spend no more then I need to. I have a top notch PC. My graphics card is a Geforce FX 5600 and it has DVI, VIVO, VGA conections on it. these alone confuse me. Any idea what i should be using these for? And I think my PC was born without a firewire thingy. I wish to download analog as well as digital footage to PC, edit it using Premier Pro and then burn them to DVD ( MPEG2 i assume? ). Mostly wedding videos and small education/training seminars.
    Man, i can't believe how nubbie I must sound. ( shame!)

so any advice from anyone would be most groovey.
    hugs from down under.
    steve

Blog Entries

Default Re: Capture Card confusion

Quote Originally Posted by steve from australia
    .... Geforce FX 5600 and it has DVI, VIVO, VGA conections on it. these alone confuse me. Any idea what i should be using these for?...
    Steve... Oh dear, it seems you have a very steep learning curve ahead of you. My suggestion? If even the above really does confuse you, do alot of reading. Guys here will offer alot of free help with specific editing problems, encoding and how to master some particular effect or whatever and do so happily, but if you're still at the stage you say, I really think you need to do some homework and get savvy with the PC before you begin editing. It's not really an art you can just master overnight, as the guys here will testify. I don't know what else to suggest really, sorry!

Hey Turn Media.... thanks for your advice. I must appologise. I did have my tongue firmly stuck in cheek when mentioning my graphics card. I really aint that stupid. Just my dumbass sense of humour. I know 2 of the connectors are for display outs. I'm just not too sure if the VIVO on the card is OK for downing digital and the conversion to MPEG2. I guess thats where i'm abit stuck. back to books i guess....

Blog Entries

The VIVO connections can indeed be used for transfering video, but are certainly not recommended for transfering video from a DV camcorder. In this case, the optimum transfer medium is Firewire.

The nVidia 5600 will NOT convert to MPEG2 for you.

you will find that two of them are digital outs. Basically, it's a dual head graphics card. The third is a TV-out so you can view you video ona connected TV set.