Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Mac v PC

Default Apple Mac v PC

The ultimate question!

To all the video experts out there - which would you recommend? I am planning to get into video work. At present I have a PC and have been using it for small projects. However, it has got to the point where I need to upgrade my current system. I reckon it will cost about 800-1,000 to get everything that I need.

I have been going down the route of looking at an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+ processor, and compatible motherboard etc (probably ASUS). However, recent press about Macs and the Intel chip are making me think again.

A number of years ago I heard someone that Apple Macs were better for video editing - does anyone know if that is actually correct?

If I'm going to spend almost 1,000 I would like to get a good system and so would value your opinions/advice? Which is the better option - Mac or PC?

As a side note, are Macs as easily upgraded as PCs?

Many thanks.

Blog Entries

What you need is a powerfull computer. Neither a mac nor a PC have any magic about them when it comes to v editing.

There are a few things to considor maybe, and I will try to be objective !

1. Price.
    PCs are better value, you get more flops per pound.

2. Upgrading.
    PCs - easy cheap and lots of cool stuff available.
    Macs - easy expensive and bits hard to get.

3. Software.
    PCs - tonnes, lots of cool free stuff too.
    macs - One of the industry standard editors is mac only, otherwise less stuff available.

4. What your friends will say.
    PCs - welcome to the club.
    macs - Enjoy life on your island.

(hides under table, bet this thread will be good)

Thanks for the very quick response!!

I appreciate your objective viewpoint!!!! I'm just been surfing the web to get views on the subject and a lot seem to agree that PC is the way to go. I haven't used a Mac for video work so have no experience at all in that field.

In light of this I will probably stick with my original choice - PC!!
    Does the following spec sound suitable:
    Processor - AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+
    Motherboard - ASUS A8N-SLI Premium or A8N-SLI Deluxe
    Graphics Card - Nvidia 6600GT
    Hard Drives - probably Maxtor!!

Many thanks!

Blog Entries

This isnt objective.

Macs are nice but expensive and I cant really see the point of them. Do they do anything that a PC wont? Nope, they just cost more, have a weird operating system (prejudice I admit it) and look like fan heaters.

Also my few mac friends are, well, kind of out of touch in a way. Thier choice of box appears to create a kind of snobby approach to the computing world in its biggest sense. I think they get mac blinkers and miss out on cool stuff. Rarely do they do anything edgy with thier mac. They seem just to use it for one thing.

The PC is the computer made by the people for the people and (crass opinionated drivel follows) I think it has been the force that has created the blogoshpere and the internetwebthingy. I dont think the mac would have driven that explosion.

Oh and another thing, the mac bosses make Mr Gates look like a kind and generous computer father xmas.

Blog Entries

duplicate deleted

Have to say I disagree with Zaskar on some points - the mac software availability isn't half as bad as a lot of people think it is. The PC has more software, sure, but that's taking into account several prorams that do exactly the same as other programs anyway.

I have no affiliation either way, I use a PC at home and both a PC and Mac at work. I was sceptical about the Mac at first, but I do prefer it in a lot of ways to windows based PCs.

Also, the bit about being on an "island" isn't really true either. Whilst most PC users are just casual everyday users, a lot of Mac users are rabid fans that know the system inside out. Plus, the Apple stores are populated by staff that have to go through a ludicrously difficult exam before being allowed to work there.

If I could afford a mac, (or had money to throw around) I'd probably buy one to be honest. Yes, they do work in a different way to PCs, but once you get used to it, a lot of it is very intuitive and makes much more sense.

However, there is a lot of snobbery amongst Apple enthusiasts, and yes, Steve Jobs and his cronies do milk as much money as possible out of the public.

In other words - there isn't a right and a wrong answer, but don't let PC enthusiasts say that Macs suck, and at the same time, don't believe Mac enthusiasts when they say that Macs are perfect
    \
    If you're sticking to a PC, the Asus boards are great, we use a load of them here and they do seem very reliable and up to the job.

However, I'd avoid maxtor drives. here at work, we've had a higher percentage of maxtor drives fail than any other brand. I'm not saying they *will* fail, but I personally wouldn't have them in my pc at home.

Blog Entries

Yes, listen to mike, I was only waffling really !

Macs are good in areas, we use Macs for editing at college using Final Cut Pro, and i love it, it's much nicer than adobe premiere for some reason, i think it's because it looks all shiney, and...macish...lol! also Final Cut Pro has been used to Cut and Edit the new film Jarhead, so thats something to keep in mind, when thinking what the capabilities of the programme is....i'm now starting to wonder what relevance this has with this topic...meh, i've said it, lol *please dont beat me*

Also macs are more relable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast