Thread: The War Of The Worlds 78 Promo Recreation

Default The War Of The Worlds 78 Promo Recreation

Hi Folks,

This might not mean anything to some, but back in 1978 when Jeff Wayne released his musical version of The War Of The Worlds he made a 4 minute promotional video to go along with it.

This is a very rare film and because of this I decided to try and recreate it using a combination of live action and cgi.

If you've seen the original you will know what I am aiming at, otherwise just enjoy and let me know what you think.

http://media.putfile.com/The-War-Of-The-Worlds-Promo

It is Black and White and has a eerie Victorian edge to it to reflect the time the story was set.

I used actual still photos from the internet from around 1890 ish and added the animations afterwards using AE and EffectsLabDV.

Blog Entries

That was very polished and cool. Top work. I loved the victorian guy and the overall victorian look.

Blog Entries

I loved it.
    My test of a "music" video is to turn the sound off and see if it still works. I must say that "war of the worlds" passed the test with flying colours. I really enjoyed it and reckon you must be really chuffed at the way it came out.

Blog Entries

Makes me think I should give this after effects thingy a try, I really like the 3d layering effect you have done.

Thanks for the comments folks glad you like it.

The bloke in the video is me with a dodgy hat I bought years ago and an old black waistcoat to give a Victorian look.

I simply filmed myself performing the moves and then put myself on top of some old photos I sourced, from the net, of London around the time of the 1890s. This is why I went for Black and White.

One thing I will say is that a Difference Matte is okay but not a patch on using a green screen. At times I had to use an animated mask around me to remove any indescretions.

The tripod fighting machines and the scene of the martian cylinder on the common were done in Max, animated and then exported to the file format I required which was a .mov.

The slow motion of the film is deliberate and I posterized the finished footage.

All the explosions, laser / heat rays and smoke were added using EffectsLabDV. If you click the link below you will see some screen caps of the footage in colour.

http://robk.proboards13.com/index.cg...ead=1135981581

really excellent, I think using black and white was a great choice for this.

I'd forgotten how good that cd was I haven't heard that it years, now I'm going to have to dig it out and listen to it again

Blog Entries

Yes, I did that too, brought back some memories...