Thread: Need help on Aspect Ratio's for NTSC

Default Need help on Aspect Ratio's for NTSC

ok im trying to create a dvd for a school camp. Long story short i have created the menus and everything in photoshop using the resolution 720X480. I then imported them into Encore DVD. The video i created with Premier Pro, and i also exported it to 4:3 aspect ratio...now when i burned the first copy not too long ago and put it into my DVD...everything was too big to be shown on the TV. Small pieces of the menu and the movie were cut off (form the top, bottom, left, and right) what in the heck did i do wrong? this is the first time im making a dvd but i did my reasearch, am i doing somethign wrong? or is it my TV? (we have had it for a good 6 years)

thanks alot,

Artem

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Sounds like you put the menus too close to the edges of the frame. TV sets always cut off a percentage of the edges, less than 20% on a well aligned set. You'll need to redo the menus to move things away from this 'border'.

As for your movie, you may need to re-edit and move critical scenes away from the edges too.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

ouh, yeah i seen this border it was called the "Safe Zone" in Encore...i ignored it because i had no idea what it was. So what your saying is if you make the menus start form this "safe zone" the ENTIRE menu will be visisble? and does this apply to the majority of TV's? or does each TV differ on how much of the picture they cut off?

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

That's right. Inside the 20% frame should be visible on all properly aligned TV sets. There's also a 10% frame that is supposed to be always off the TV screen. Again, depends on TV alignment. TV sets tend to have the edges of their visible area between the 10% and 20% points.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70