Thread: Using a TV as and external monitor?

Default Using a TV as and external monitor?

Hi Guys,

After many months of wasting my time with cheap entry level software and hardware I have decided to raise the bar and splash out on some (hopefully) better gear. I have just bought Vegas 6 and a canapus ADVC 110 - the latter I am still awaiting arrival of.

I have noticed that an external monitor can be used in Vegas and was wondering if I can hook up a TV via my Canapus ADVC 110 (which is bi-directional) using a firewire cable?

Also, I would like to digitally copy some chapters from my 5 Bruce Lee DVD's and compile my own DVD containing only the fight scenes for my own personal viewing (I find watching the complete movies a pain and can endure the bad dubbing no longer). Is this possible?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Yes you can, yes it is.

The preview window is output to the firewire port.

To make your compilation vid you may have to crack the protection (use dvd decrypter) and then you can just drop the vobs onto the timeline

3. Default

Also....I believe there is a power-on sequence on your canopus device which will bypass the copy protection. On my ADVC300 I hold down the Input selector for about 30 sec while powering on the device. It does work and I believe the same applies to the 110. You can also use a signal stabilizer device like the oane made by Sigma. It sells for about $45.

Default Re: Using a TV as and external monitor?

Thanks guys,

Just took delivery of my new ADVC 110 and I have to say... Wow!
    I did a 1 hour capture to AVI straight off with NO dropped frames.... wow again!

Success at last.

I managed to inport VOB files by backing up the DVD to hard drive with DVD shrink first and then dragging them into Vegas.... class!

No sign of any macrovision screwing things up.

One thing though. Playing back these files is maxing my CPU. I have a 2.8 ghz with 2 gig ram and a matrox 550 dual head so I'm quite suprised. However, playing them back in the windows media player reduces the load by 50%. Probably running Vegas is causing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar
    Yes you can, yes it is.

The preview window is output to the firewire port.

To make your compilation vid you may have to crack the protection (use dvd decrypter) and then you can just drop the vobs onto the timeline
    I have set my external monitor to my firewire to Canopus for conversion then on to my TV monitor but I am getting nothing and can't find anything else in the documentation. I have checked the canopus and I can output colour bars to the TV no problem but no signal seems to be getting to the Canopus device from my PC???? Anyone got any suggestions!

I have noticed that if I disable the viewing window within vegas, my CPU performance drops down from about 95% to about 10% so that is what is hogging my system. If I can get the external monitor to work then hopefully it will give me more headroom?

Still trying to work out how to get the timeline output to the TV so any suggestions where I might be going wrong will be most welcome!

Blog Entries

I am yet to try what you are doing but as far as i know the preview window is mirroed to the the f wie by default. Maybe that aint the case and there is a setting somewhere. Checked the help in vegas ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar
    I am yet to try what you are doing but as far as i know the preview window is mirroed to the the f wie by default. Maybe that aint the case and there is a setting somewhere. Checked the help in vegas ?
    Well, I have managed to get some joy but sometimes the picture flashes and flickers... like poor TV reception during bad weather ????

Was also disapointed that the CPU still hits peak while using either the preview window or the external TV monitor!

It early days for me and maybe something needs tweaked somewhere?

Did a quck search and found this.