Thread: video card or graphic card HELP

Default video card or graphic card HELP

Hi there everyone
    Just getting into video editing in a big way and I知 now at a point where I need to upgrade my computer in certain areas, but I知 not sure which direction I should go when it comes to choosing between a graphics card , video card, both or something else ????. I have a limited budget at the moment of a couple of hundred pounds to send what should I do

The main use of my computers seams to be web design, graphic design, composing music and now video editing, but which card would be the better opinion for stability?
    I知 not sure whether I need both or just one of the cards, if so as a beginner which is the best option for me.

If anyone could help and point me in the direction I need to be facing I would be over the moon with any help and guidance.

Cheers and thanks

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Normally the choice of graphics card has little impact on video editing. About the best feature to look for is dual monitor output, it seems there's never enough screen space while editing to show everything without opening/closing windows.

There are some 3D animation programs out that will use the DirectX9 capable video cards to do the rendering, speeding up the process greatly. Don't know if you're interested in that though.

For video work, an All-in-Wonder card can help digitize analog video, but I have no experience with it. I use a dedicated PCI card for that task.

That said, most of the mid-scale ATI Radeon 9xxx All-in-Wonder family will do the job.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70