Thread: Sony Camera not detected

Default Sony Camera not detected

I am using a Sony Camera DCR TRV33 which has a minDV tape and a memory stick and a Power Mac G4 with OS X 10.3.9 Panther.

For some time I have been able to download photos and short videos from the memory stick to my computer through a USB cable but this week I decided to start downloading and editing video from the tape. I tried with the USB cable but my computer did not detect the camera while on VCR mode nor "camera"mode (it did on memory mode for the stick). I thought it may be that I needed a firewire cable. I bought one and still nothing was detected when I pluged the camera to the Mac.

Any help???? Do I need some special software ( I thought the Macs came with just about everything needed)? Or is it a Hardware issue?

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Try another f wire device, if that is detected it may be a camera fault.

No, no, no! You're using the wrong connection!
    USB is indeed for stills and vcd transfer, and if you want to capture DV for editing you'll need to use Firewire. Look for a 4-pin connection.

Default Problem solved

Hi: thanks for your comments, I detected the camera yesterday, I tried a different cable and also I realised that when a video camera is connected it does not mount itself as a usb-stick one does ( I come from linux world so I was expecting the new mount ...) so with a correct click in iMovie and a different cable I was able to access my videos. Thanks!

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Glad it's all sorted. The TRV33 is a good camera. I have one. It even has a true widescreen mode which mine sits in permanently.

How are you getting along with the camera?

But I would forget about it for stills. It's a by-product and far from what the camera does best. Leave the memory stick in there for 'emergencies' but you'll be much much better with a cheap digital still camera.

Default going fine

The camera is indeed a good one, for some time (around 2 years) I used only the memory stick as a source for short videos since I had no way of editing the video from the tape, but those days are gone now! I still captured a lot on the tape and now I am glad I did