Thread: Handwriting effect

Default Handwriting effect

I wanted to try the handwriting tutorial you can find on, and since it's a tutorial for Premier 6.5 I had to figure out how to do it in Premier Pro 1.5.
    So I made a photoshop file just like the video shows, I import them in to PPro, I create the green matte color, just like the video, apply the gradient wipe transition, just like video, I pick the matte I created also like the video says, but heres is the problem.
    When I scrub the time line, instead of having a gradient appearance it just makes a sudden shift between the color matte and the picture with the writing.

but if I use the default transition matte or one of the other mattes I have made there is no problem :(

I cant figure out what I have done wrong :(

So if anybody have tried this on PPro, mayby you can tell me how to do it also!

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Just guessing but it might be a simple case of needing to render before you can scrub properly.

Alternatively, try an organic wipe with your gradient. It should work in a similar fashion and might allow you to scrub properly.

I also tried that, even when I go one frame at a time, it still doesn't work :(

That sounds like the way it used to behave in PPro v1.0, in which the gradient wipe transition had a bug. However, I can confirm that in v1.5 the bug was fixed.

My PPro is tied up at the moment encoding but I will have a look when it has finished.

I have just got it to work for me.

I used .TIFFs.

In video track two was the .TIFF of the letter on a green background. Using the chroma key effect I made the green transparent. (Thinking about it now it should work with the letter simply being on a transparent background in the firstplace - I think the green back ground is just a work around for the fact that you couldn't have transitions on any track other than track one in Premiere 6.5).

I applied the gradient wipe transition to the whole of the letter clip. I then selected the black to transparent letter shape TIFF I had created in Photoshop as a custom gradient.

Putting some video in video track one then resulted in the letter being "drawn" over the underlying video.

Is this any help?

You are right, converting the gradient map to .TIFF instead .PSD I can now apply it as a transition and get the handwriting effect.

Thank you for the help.