Thread: Flying Monument Valley - Short Video - Part 1

Default Flying Monument Valley - Short Video - Part 1

All,

I've finally managed to pull off my trip to Monument Valley in my Ultralight Aircraft and captured some magical images of the place. It's a large download, but the beauty of this place deserves it!

http://www.emuvideo.com/videos.php?page=trikemv1

Cheers,

Damien

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing! Now I have a hankering to take a road trip out west again.

Was that a stone that bunged your prop?
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Blog Entries

Default Re: Flying Monument Valley - Short Video - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by tdrtw
    It's a large download, but the beauty of this place deserves it!
    You should be able to reduce your video bitrate by almost a half and maintain a similar quality. Try a VBR video bitrate of between 600-800 and you should be pleasently suprised (no noticable drop in quality and half the file size, meaning half the bandwidth).

Well you know what I think already!

Excellent job Damien.

When can I get my grubby hands on part 2?

>>Was that a stone that bunged your prop?

Crusty, pretty sure it wasn't a stone, just by the way it powdered, usually they may split and deflect. Watching the footage more carefully frame by frame it most likely appears to have fallen from the gas tank as there are many little nooks and crannies something can hide in there. I'll be more careful in future. But on the plus side, I've had more questions about this part of the video, so without it, it would be just another flying video of majical terrain!!!

Marc, my speciality sure itsn't compression as you can tell. I'll try and remember it for next time, but in the end, I don't want to sacrifice a lot of quality to save a few bytes. In this day and age, and at how cheap space becomes, 50 meg should be negligable, and if your on a phone line, then even compression won't help! I also want to stay away from those fancy codecs that the everyday users knows nothing about. I hate having to install something to watch someones video. Sorry!

I've seem some quality compression done using Quicktime before in mp4 format.

Paragliding -> Thanks. You did make one excellent point - to be aware of the tense's of my narration. Listening to it more carefully, it does sound a little off when I say "tomorrow we shall fly".... I was a math/science kid as you can tell The more tips the better, to make the next one better!

If you didn't make a mistake, you didn't learn anything. Thats how I justify my mistakes in life!!!

Cheers,

Damien

Blog Entries

Lovely video. Did you stick cameras all over the micro light ? Brilliantly done ! If I ever get rich that is one trip I want to take.

>>Did you stick cameras all over the micro light ?

I use 2 bullet cameras. One of them is on a fully rotate'able head that I can adjust in flight with my right hand, the other is fixed on the wing. Gives me lots of flexibility to get different shots.

>>I ever get rich that is one trip I want to take.

...What about pawning all the equiepment listed in your signature...

Glad you enjoyed it. I should start editing part 2 tonight..if I have time..

Cheers,

Damien

Zaskar, I just browsed your website - very interesting, will have to look more at home. But anyway, I had to laugh... "page counters are just great for self humiliation aren't they"....

Maybe put a fudge factor of 10,000 on there, then focus not on the incremental changes, but the number of visitors since inception!!!

Blog Entries

Page counters, hmm, bloody thing reset recently when they fiddled with the server, gits. I might remove it and change that whole f page, it is a bit daft. Be aware that my most rude / stupid films are featured this month, there are many more sensible ones in the directories at he top (honest!)

sweet video, looks like a lot of fun. I'm jealous

Absolutely loved this, superb work