Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I charge?

Blog Entries

Default What do I charge?

I have got a sniff at some proper work at last but I have no idea what to charge? Yes I know 'how long is a piece of string', I just want some idea of what is the norm.

It is an outdoor pursuit company looking to develope the corperate ents side of thier business and they want the video (5 mins ish) for thier web site and to use it to spam businesses in a mail shot.

They have seen my web site and like what I have done (oddly). I am confident I can do the job as I have read much, know some clever designer types and have talent offered from friends for music / stills / sound / transport ect.

This would be my first paid job so any ideas what I should expect to get paid? Personally I would be happy to do a costing on expenses plus 14ish quid an hour (my hourly rate in my proper job). Off the top of my head I thought 1500 to 2000 would seem about right. Any thoughts from you industry types ?

Blog Entries

Sounds like you have the right idea to me.

Blog Entries

Agreed.

Blog Entries

Thanks.

Blog Entries

I personally would do exactly as you're proposing. Don't under-quote and (definately for the first few jobs, until you've sussed it out) be prepared to spend on outside help to make a good product.
    I know when I moved into telly-vishon a few years ago I listened to those who had "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" and kept my rates high (you can always "do a discount" to get a job but if your rates are low and you get a punter with a thick wallet, you can't suddenly increase your rates.). If I have to supply a crew, then I've learnt that it pays to spend money on good assistants, soundies etc. in the long run.
    A good tip now... Get in touch with the local college or university, the student union will have a noticeboard, and put up a notice "Occasional help with video projects wanted, a fiver per hour" and collect a few telephone numbers of those you think you can work with. Having a "bag carrier" on a job who can help with moving lights and furniture, get the stuff you left in the car, and generally take the mundane jobs off your shoulders is worth it. Incidentally another word for a bag carrier is a "grip". Having a "grip" on a shoot really lets you concentrate on the job in hand without having to worry about feeding the parking meter, finding electrical sockets etc. etc.
    It really is fifty quid well spent (and impresses the clients too).

Blog Entries

Thanks again. Great advice.

Blog Entries

I got the job. I am very pleased. Hopefully the first of many.

Good luck with that!

Hi guys

i also have some possible work coming my way. i just wondered what people would normally charge for a 3-5 minute production with 1 camera + stills, filmed over 2 or 3 days, and edited in FCP for 2-3 days with royalty free music and finished on DVD.

This is a short promo for an off-road driving school

i've read through what you good people have said before about charging, but i'm unsure of which way to go - some companies advertise low rates starting at 6,700, others seem happy with 1,800... but all of these appear to be long established companies with large crews and 10+ years industry experience... can i charge the same as them?
    Dual G5 2.0GHz PowerPC with 2.5GB RAM, 460GB Hard Drive and 2 19" Apple Studio Display CRTs. Let down by a slow drive (Pioneer 108 single layer) and small camera (Panasonic NV GS200)

Running FCP and Toast - its all quite peachy

... does 958 for 1 Camera+assist, 2 days filming, 2 days editing, using royalty free music with 2 copies on DVD sound like a sensible price? am i pipe-dreaming or dragging my heels?
    Dual G5 2.0GHz PowerPC with 2.5GB RAM, 460GB Hard Drive and 2 19" Apple Studio Display CRTs. Let down by a slow drive (Pioneer 108 single layer) and small camera (Panasonic NV GS200)

Running FCP and Toast - its all quite peachy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast