Thread: Still pics. in video

Default Still pics. in video

One for Crusty!
    You answered my last post re fading audio ( it worked a treat) with a image showing me how -- I assume from the image that you are using Nero vision express 3 as i am. --- My next prob is How can I get picture that i created in Photo shop CS into my video ? -- I've saved it in every format i can see but it refuses to open in the media window in vision express -- Any clues ???

I must go to the intro forum and tell all you forumers (no i dont have a speech impediment) all about myself, then you will know why i ask some silly ??s at times -- IM a fully qualified newbie at videography The kit that i have was bought on a whim and i'm really still trying to get to grips with it So bear with me pls. Alex C
    My Kit

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    2 - 250gb Seagate H.Ds Raid Stripe
    ATI/EQS Deluxe Motherboard
    ATI Radeon Sapphire PCI800 256mb Graphics
    NEC DVD RW 3540A Dual Layer/Format
    16x48 Dvd Rom
    Serial ATA
    Firewire
    19\" TFT 12ms Screen
    Windows XP Pro
    Canon XM2 Camcorder
    Nikon D50 DSLR Photoshop CS / Elements 3
    Nero 6 Vision Express Editing
    Premiere elements 2.0

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

It's a complicated affair to put stills into a NeroVision movie. First you have to make a DVD slide show. There's a selection for this when you begin NV. Load your stills as assets then drag each that you'll be using down to the timeline When you have your stills in, set the duration on screen, transitions, effects, etc. then Next and Next till it's ready to burn as a DVD project, but write to disk. Then you need to find the VTS_01_1.VOB file it's produced, rename it to VTS_01_1.mpg then start a NeroVision Movie session. All the other files it produced can be erased. Then use the VTS_01_1.mpg as an asset and insert into your movie as needed.

This sucks, but there's no other way. Because of this handicap, I went shopping last summer for a better video editor. Got Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 for $50 and it's much more capable.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Cheers Crusty - Yes it is a bit compicated but I managed it at the 6th attempt - Your a diamond
    All I needed was an opener and a closer which I will use an all the vids I do
    Thats if I ever manage to get past the opener!!
    Regards Alex C

Hi Crusty and Alex C,

You both seem to use Nero so you might be able to help me with a problem I'm having with Nero 7.

I can import video fine but when I try and edit it the playback is almost unusable. The picture is very jumpy although the sound is perfect. Try to edit a video when you are using sound instead of images! When I burn a DVD at the end of it all, the results are good.

I have tried shutting everything else down, disconnecting from the net, disabling my anti-virus. I even went as far as a full reformat and reinstall but the same problems occur.

I am running a P4 1.9Ghz with 1GB of RAM. XP Home, SP2.

Any ideas? Help gratefully received!

Sorry interceptor your asking the wrong guy on this one --- Im a complete novice at this whole game ( Its my first attempt at videoing and editing )
    Crusty is your best bet -- He has helped me out on two occassions with good end results -- Dont give up trying

Alex C

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

I use the previous version of NeroVision, the one that comes with Nero 6. And it does about the same. Like you, I found this irritating - until I found the work-around that's in the editor.

First, just about all editing programs have troubles 'scrubbing', that's the action of going forwards and back to get to the exact point in a film/video where an edit is desired. The reason is there's a heck of a lot of work involved decompressing and displaying the individual frames. So much so that without specially designed hardware (ie Matrox and Video Toaster), frame skipping is needed. The same principle applies to reviewing the edit, software decompression has to skip frames to keep up with the audio.

To get to a specific place on the video, use your mouse on the monitor timeline to get close, then click on the time display, either the seconds, minutes or hours place which will turn blue and blink, then use the up/down keyboard cursor keys to move forwards/backwards one step. Use the Page Up/Down keys to move ten units. You can use the fraction of a second part to move frame by frame too.

This makes precise cuts and reviewing transitions/effects frame by frame possible.

Post Edit - The frame size of your video makes a big difference in the skipping. A 320x240 original video may not skip until a special effect or transition is put in. A 720x568 will probably skip severely, no matter what.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70